Comet suspension

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Wasn't that hitting a bump at the top of the hill - the same bump that threw off poor Chas Guy and killed him on the next run ?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Brian, Yes, I think it was going over the finish line, Not nice !! I am not sure, But I don't think he had a steering damper on it at the time, I saw it on the telly a few times, Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think JS had played about with his girdralics I have a hazy idea he replaced the spring boxes with some spring-hydralic units should have stuck with broom handles :)

timetraveller

VOC Member
"he replaced the spring boxes with some spring-hydralic units"

Quite right. Photographs of the bike show full length spring over damper units replacing the front spring boxes and the eccentrics in a non-standard angle. The rather beautiful red bike also has the lower link at the angle to cause the bike to rise over the forks when front wheel braking.

Howard

VOC Member
038.jpg040.jpg066.jpg067.jpg034.jpg

I am sorry for all the messing about. It is a steep learning curve trying to learn all the intricacies of the computer mind.
Unfortunately we have reached the age that automatically clears the memory 2 days after learning something!!
I can now reduce the size of the photo’s – but as yet can only email one at a time.
There are 6 photo’s and I will list the descriptions below along with the reference number of the photo.

Photo 034 – Standard fork full extension
Photo 037 – Standard fork full compression
Photo 066 - Repositioned eccentric position full extension
Photo 040 - Repositioned eccentric position full compression
Photo 038 – Comparison of wheel travel
Photo 067 – Standard and modified steering column.

I hope that this makes sense to you. I bet you are regretting offering now!
Best wishes
John

Howard

VOC Member
066.jpg

Sorry, After I offered I realised I hadn't done this before either. Hope this works.
Photos above left to right 038 040 065 067 034 which should make this 037 ................ I hope. I had to convert from .bmp so if anyone has a problem TOUGH! Or let me know and I'll try to improve.

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Howard and John, John you are very Brave to try something so different, I was told by a bike builder, Who people have a lot of respect for, To do something like that, But I would not take that chance, I have a yellow streak down my back !! Good Luck, Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
037.jpg

Or maybe this one is 037 - Fancy giving an Egli man Girdraulic photos - I'm guessing they're the right way up by the tins on the shelf behind :)

H