H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres brakes

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
the spares company delivers 8 inch brakes.what is better ? two leading shoe or 8 inch?
I have heard good things about both of these options. Another option that I have found to be very good is in this photograph:

disc (1) compressed.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
From My experience I have found the 4 leading shoe setup from VSM work great straight out of the box. The only 8 inch single leading shoe set up I installed from the Voc spares co, is much heavier and I found its initial performance to be quite poor, needing a lot more "Bedding in time" but I have been told that they work well with better linings. It's probably just up to personal preference really. Sorry Eddy, I don't think I could ever bring myself to install disc's on a Vincent. Cheers...............Greg.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
........ Sorry Eddy, I don't think I could ever bring myself to install disc's on a Vincent. Cheers...............Greg.
Dear Greg,
Not original by any stretch of the imagination but as the bike is usually my everyday transport in the summer months I have fitted several non-standard parts to better suit modern road conditions. The extra weight of fitting the alternative drum brakes was a consideration as was the cost. All the mods are easily reversible so that the original components can be refitted when the originality police or EU gestapo come around.:eek:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Eddy, Is yours ok in the rain ?, My Norton Disc on the Special, And when I had a BMW K100 with twin Discs, Were not good when wet, I had to ride with one finger on the brake to keep things nice. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Morning Eddy, Is yours ok in the rain ?, My Norton Disc on the Special, And when I had a BMW K100 with twin Discs, Were not good when wet, I had to ride with one finger on the brake to keep things nice. Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
This is a fairly recent mod but I've been out on in the wet a few times and the "wet lag" seems pretty minimal. The discs as you see are drilled and the new pad materials seem to work well in the wet. Some early disc brakes were dire in the wet until more suitable disc material and drilling came in. I think that the cast iron discs worked quite well but were prone to go rusty if not used often.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Are twin leading shoes any good when doing a hill start, or holding the bike from running backwards when using a ramp to get it on a trailer/van? Not that we ever use trailers, or vans of course ;)

greg brillus

VOC Member
I'm installing two sets of your brakes as we speak..........:)............ Nulli, I have found pretty much any four leader's performance when the bike is moved rearward is not real good at all, simply due to the nature of the cams verses the fixed pivot points. The bigger and better the brake the worse the problem seems, from what I have found anyway. Cheers..............Greg.

erik

VOC Member
so, where is the 8 inch break with two leading shoues? for rolling backward there is a footbrake .this good enough to start on a steep hill.