H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres brakes

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a 21" on it and it was OK, though I did have to persuade it a bit. I also had a new undrilled fender so I could play with positioning. A 20 or 19 tire should be fine. Another option for the stay is to space out the fixings with a spacer at the fork, but I did not like the way it fit.

Would increasing the length of the flattened portion to clear the head of the nut have worked ?

timetraveller

VOC Member
There is the same, or a similar, problem when one uses either the original Electron brake plates or modern replacement with air scoops. My way round it was to use a tubular spacer between the fork leg and the end of the stay. It is easier, but whether it looks acceptable is up to the owner.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I see there is a picture of Dave Johnson's new 4LS Speet brakes on page 55 of MPH 816. (yes, I got it here in Maine about a week ago). It looks a bit different to me and Dave may have fabricated his own fender stay. They are not too hard to make. Since Vincent Brake is on the forum, he should have some suggestions, and it could be that the new slightly wider version is set up differently. I also have Bramptons, so that might make a difference. I am sure he will check in here at some point as the real expert. A link to the installation instructions describing fender stay work arounds in some detail used to be on the VSM website.
Aren't touring fender stays wider anyway?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
thanx Guys,

well the fender stay, i dont like the whole wheel finting in the fender so made a new set up elininating the top fender stay, more like a Triumph bonnie set up (my time thing.....) i run now with 19" all vinnies except my A comet.
i tried a 21in BS with shorter trail set up (look up mr walkers mod) but than it still becomes more a Highway queen, it would only go strait on...... so back to 19
and made up new fender stays, will upload pictures later when the platform works again..

mail me for a comprehensive info:
vincent at vsmmetaal dot nl

cheers

vincent

deejay499

VOC Member
Oldhaven. The stays are standard series 'D'. They do not have to be bent as there are two spacers in the kit and just two longer bolts are needed. Not sure if I can put a photo on here.

davidd

VOC Member

greg brillus

VOC Member
I replace the rear lever holding bolt with a countersunk screw and then countersink the thick washer, gives more room. That part is quite easy, it is the front guard stay to clear the speedo drive that is more tricky..........Just what I have found, and I have installed several of these kits now.

erik

VOC Member
the spares company delivers 8 inch brakes.what is better ? two leading shoe or 8 inch?