H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres brakes

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
who sells the two leading shoe brakes for the the vincent?is it a good idea to fit those? erik

greg brillus

VOC Member
VSM in Holland makes them available via MPH comes as a kit now with wider Shadow type drums to accommodate the wider brake shoes (Not as big a bevel edge on the mouth of the drum) A bit fiddly to set up, not much room to spare, but they work very well. Cheers............Greg.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have been very pleased with the brakes, the instructions are well thought out, the kit is very complete, and the quality of the machining and materials is first rate. I bought the whole shebang with new ribbed drums, but I have an earlier version with narrower but still much larger than standard brake linings. If you want to get them I would recommend getting a new lower front fender stay since you will have to bend your original to clear the brake mechanism otherwise. I also got new Spares Co. balance beam brake adjusters and drilled them out to use as cable routing holders, keeping my originals intact. This is not strictly necessary, since the balance beam is not required.

I tried to upload a cropped picture of just the brakes, but that part of the forum does not seem to be working yet, so you can see my installation below from a previous post illustrating the bent stay and the balance beam routing.

index.php

Oldhaven

VOC Member
The VSM company website used to have a link to the Vincent Brake section, but that seems to be gone now. There is still a picture of a Vincent on the "About" page. I would guess VSM is doing very well now and doesn't want to confuse web visitors with new motorcycle parts for old motorcycles. You can see why the workmanship is so professional from visiting the site. Well done Vincent.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the tip regarding the fender stay - surely if the fender stay is bent it will result in decreased clearance between the fender and the tire?

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have a 21" on it and it was OK, though I did have to persuade it a bit. I also had a new undrilled fender so I could play with positioning. A 20 or 19 tire should be fine. Another option for the stay is to space out the fixings with a spacer at the fork, but I did not like the way it fit.