H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brake Linings

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some may be older and unreasonable as described or maybe they have worked 80 hours a week. 7 days a week for almost 60 years and can afford to buy Vincent's and Brough's instead of wasting it on insurance policies, down the pub, smoking, tattoo's etc, just another view ! Maybe one day if the Australian Dollar falls badly and we with Brexit improve dramatically we can then buy them all back !! Hope they are being looked after well.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I have a little mate in Harrogate (Yorks.) whom I got to know when still a member. We did over sixty pages of correspondence restoring a neglected, but very original Comet. He and a good friend came over for a tour of the Great Ocean Road, the Phillip Island Grand Prix and a four day tour around Tassie. They were on hired Bloody Mighty Wurlitzers and I was on the Comet on Steroids. We visited one of the Brough/ Vincent brigade and had a brilliant time with NO RAIN! This was in the YEARS BEFORE THE PLAGUE, but Tassie is still the Land God Gave to Motorcyclists. Anyone who can do it should do it!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Some may be older and unreasonable as described or maybe they have worked 80 hours a day, 7 days a week for almost 60 years and can afford to buy Vincent's and Brough's instead of wasting it on insurance policies, down the pub, smoking, tattoo's etc, just another view ! Maybe one day if the Australian Dollar falls badly and we with Brexit improve dramatically we can then buy them all back !! Hope they are being looked after well.
Wow, working 80 hours a day, you put me to shame Kerry, I only ever managed about 24 hours, and that was with a 3 hour break for a bit of shut eye.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Unless tested the protocol is to assume there is asbestos present.
Areas to check.
Brake linings.
Seat stay friction damper material
Bakelite headlight switches another bakelite switches.
Older panniers of fibreboard construction may also contain the mighty fibres.
Electrical insulation panels in switches ,horns, rear brake light switches.
These commonly contain the fibre also of a certain age never assume test it is cheap.

We have seen these items for vehicles for export tested at one of the local labs.
Amazing the amount of the fibre which was used for all kinds of stuff.

Test dont assume if they test and it is positive then bye bye vehicle.

ericg

VOC Member
Never met someone working 80 hours per week during 60 years. Especially if the work requires hand tools and heavy equipment.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I did that for a few years when our business was getting underway. My wife reminds me of 1 year that I worked 364.5 days, half day off for Christmas. Warning, although working 80 hours per week helps with wealth, it can make also you unreasonable.
So I've been told!

Glen