H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brake Linings

Scotty

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am sorting out the brakes on the front end of my bike and came across these in a box of misc bits in the garage, they appear to be new in the box stored away for many many years!
D7F0C014-CF69-46EA-9B3A-7215808A872A.jpeg

7D635E84-410C-4974-8F01-A1F2AAEF8C58.jpeg

Are they worth using or is it the cardinal sin and never to be even considered? I know nothing of the nature on linings and if they have a shelf life and that’s where hopefully you folks can assist me.

Terry Martin

Forum User
VOC Member
Dispose off properly, do not be tempted to use, you or anyone else only needs to inhale one fibre. My father died of asbestosis it wasn't pretty.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Scotty,

I think John was simply addressing the performance aspect, which is true. Terry was addressing the health aspect, which is true. Michael is addressing the fact that many countries require the owner to sign an affidavit or prove that the bike contains no asbestos if the owner ships it to another country, which is true.

I would have someone like Safetek mount new linings. I would get an invoice that stated that the new linings were non-asbestos linings and I would keep the paperwork with the bike's ownership papers. Safetek is authorized to dispose of asbestos.

David

Scotty

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Scotty,

I think John was simply addressing the performance aspect, which is true. Terry was addressing the health aspect, which is true. Michael is addressing the fact that many countries require the owner to sign an affidavit or prove that the bike contains no asbestos if the owner ships it to another country, which is true.

I would have someone like Safetek mount new linings. I would get an invoice that stated that the new linings were non-asbestos linings and I would keep the paperwork with the bike's ownership papers. Safetek is authorized to dispose of asbestos.

David
Superb. Thank you

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have one of the 8 Vincents I mentioned recently (now all sold cheap) going to Tasmania, they are very concerned about asbestos and several forms have to be declared. Apart from the brake linings was asbestos used anywhere else, the clutch on this bike has an Australian V2 so assume that is ok but did the originals have it or gaskets etc ?