Misc: Everything Else Belt Drive Conversion

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you can let me have the name of the app I will try to see if I can make it work. I promise nothing but it will be interesting to try.
The app is Microsoft Lens. Works for IOS or Android.
The link below shows an image of a white board taken at and angle and how it can be corrected by editing. The chap that uses it says if the template is small enough he puts it on A4 paper or if larger puts a ruler in the picture. This can then be used to set the size in the CAD software.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I fitted one of these BNR belt drives on the 1360. The two main reasons for using it were weight reduction and the ability to transmit a lot of power. There was some question as to whether a stock clutch was up to the job.
Bob was also unsure if his clutch would do it, so he suggested using 7 thin friction plates rather than the 5 thicker plates he normally uses on a Vincent clutch. At least with the BNR clutch you have the option of tightening the springs or using heavier springs if the clutch isn't holding.
Bob also made the gearing slightly higher than standard Vincent primary, which meant clearance had to be created in all directions.
The clutch holds but I had to really cinch the springs down to stop slippage. It is not a light clutch.

I made a 1" spacer to go behind the primary cover. That might create a lean over issue on a standard bike, but my engine is shifted 5/8" to the right for rear tire clearance, so it's not a problem at all on this bike. Also, it's an Egli type frame so the engine sits just a bit higher than in a standard Vincent.
I like the BNR belt drive on that bike, but can't see a good enough reason to fit one on a standard roadbike. There are high quality triplex chains available, but you have to search a bit for the source.

The nonsealed bearing on the BNR clutch has not been a problem. I removed the bearing cover ring and inspected the bearing at 1500 miles. The grease was all intact. Whatever grease Bob uses seems right for the job, it stays in. I have about 10,000 miles on the drive now. I should inspect it again just to make sure it's OK. If all of the grease is still in there after this much use, I'll not bother looking at it again for a long while.

My 920 Norton belt drive is a different brand. It uses a sealed bearing, which should be a good thing. I took that clutch off after the first five hundred miles of use. All of the grease had slipped past the seal and was splattered all over things!

Glen

bmetcalf

VOC Member
"There are high quality triplex chains available, but you have to search a bit for the source."

I assumed that what the VOCSC, Maughan's, or Coventry sold was as good as you could get.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
"There are high quality triplex chains available, but you have to search a bit for the source."

I assumed that what the VOCSC, Maughan's, or Coventry sold was as good as you could get.
I'm not sure what primary chain the VOC supplies now. Ten or so years ago I decided to put a new primary chain on the Rapide. John Mcdougall advised against using the Spares Co. chain at that time. Instead he gave me a part number for a very high quality triplex chain that could be ordered at a local bearing supplier. I was able to purchase that chain at wholesale price, but even so it was quite a bit more expensive than the Spares Co. chain at retail. I cannot recall the brand. I have the part number written down somewhere.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
My engine came with a nos Renold primary chain in the cases. It's likely to be early 1960s. Are they good?
Yes I guess that's before the tin boxes needed triplex timing chains as I understand it that application caused slight redesign or reduction in quality which in turn supposedly meant a reduction in their effectiveness as a primary.
Anyway that's the story I heard