Misc: Everything Else Belt Drive Conversion

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi David There is now a lot of info out there such as belt widths and pully diameters , to complete the picture what is the pitch of the belt and its form please . Roger
Roger,

I believe this is a listing for the belt used on the small Newby clutch, which is 30 mm wide and has 68 teeth. The front pully I use is a 36T.

Gates Belt.GIF

This belt has 105 T on it and when used with the 36T engine pully, the main shaft center to clutch center is approximately 8.1".

The 840 number is the pitch of the overall belt in mm. The "8MGT" is the sprocket pitch circle 8 mm. The width is 30 mm.

David

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
They are only rubber with cords inside (nylon, kelvar or whatever), no steel, so I just clamped so much to a block of wood and used a new blade in a Stanley knife up against a steel rule, then moved along a bit and cut further until I had gone all the way round.
The belts I have here use multiple steel cables encased in rubber. Perhaps there are a few different types?

Glen

Last edited:

ben kingham

VOC Member
I noticed the 1/2" spacer mentioned in this thread (Part No. EC1623SP1500A from Cometic) and thought I might be able to save the hassle of making one. I contacted them and was quoted an astonishing $276.53 each....! Plus an extremely unreasonable $320.00 shipping to the UK via FedEx. Must be due to the weight.. although I could send same back the other way via FedEx for under $25. Guess I will get the Jigsaw out.

BrianR

Forum User
VOC Member
Yes. Kind of greedy aren’t they! They charged me full price on all but the first one and I’m the one that sent them the cover and explained where it needed additional material. We just need to find someone with a waterjet cutter.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I get parts for the hydraulic steering damper kits waterjetted out of 10 and 12 mm thick ali. The firm is only a mile from me and normally produces parts in less than a week. They need a DWG or DXF file from ACAD to work from and you would have to be responsible for that. Minimum charge is £50. If this would help let me know. I would need the ACAD file to get a quotation and you might get two for their minimum charge.

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is an app that can take a photo of a part such as the inside of a primary cover. The app apparently corrects any out of line angle with the camera. This can then be imported to CAD software and the photo traced into the app after setting a known distance. In the case of a primary cover where it would be hard to highlight two points that are a know distance a ruler could be laid alongside and used as the size reference.
A friend who does lots of fabrication and makes cardboard models, opens the models out and then uses the software to photo the opened out cardboard to transfer to CAD and then a DXF of DWG files for the laser/ water cutters.
If anyone is interested I'll find the name of the app.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think a scan of a gasket (suitably trimed) scaned on a flatbed ,saved as a pdf and copied to an on line pdf to dwg site is the way I would go

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you can let me have the name of the app I will try to see if I can make it work. I promise nothing but it will be interesting to try.