Yorkshire Dales places to visit please?

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Heading off tomorrow to have a wee look around Yorkshire we will be based in Helmsley.
Any ideas as far as nice routes or places to visit please?

Thanks
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
Pickering is nice 13 miles away then go towards Thornton le dale and you will find the bangers and cash real warehouse on the right in an industrial estate full of cars and bikes very interesting, going on to the shop in Thornton le dale you will find its is a bit of a sales front with little stock turn left in the village and you are on the way to Whitby
Scarborough road racing cock of the north is on at Olivers Mount on 1st and 2 July proper road racing not that plastic moto GP stuff

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Al, You are in for a real treat, I was touring up there on my Rapide last year, just prior to meeting up with you at the Far Far North Rally, you have based yourself at a great location, Helmsley, take care to comply with the parking regulations in the central car park, they swoop and ticket, you have been warned!

I was also there in 2021, and bumped into Glyn Johnson whilst parked in the central car park, he was road testing a new BMW motorcycle with a friend.

Wherever you go you will find great roads, but for me, there are a couple of must do roads, they are Blakey Ridge from Hutton-le-Hole to Castleton, and then back again, as many times as you want, it is that good, but look out for sheep, stop at the Lion Inn for refreshments, drop down into Rosedale Abbey and go to a great little cafe with outside seating attached to a shop I seem to remember, whilst there you might as well go up and down the steepest road in Great Britain (probably contested) the 1 in 3 Rosedale Chimney Bank, that should loosen your bowels should you need to, but the Black Sheep or Timothy Taylor Ale also works, equally as well as the black stuff!

The coastal villages are also worth a visit, Robin Hood's Bay, Sandsend, Runswick, Staithes, Saltburn.

All the roads that criss cross the moors are great, ENJOY.

Peter

IMG_5303.jpgIMG_5301.jpg

Last edited:

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Al, not sure how long you are up in Yorkshire for but Helmsley will be packed this weekend 17/18 with the 'Farmyard' Party at Duncombe Park.
There will be at least one Vincent at Masham (Home of Theakstones & Black Sheep Brewery) on Sunday morning in the market square HG4 4DY & I believe there is a well known Vintage club having a lunch stop at Bainbridge on the A684 a bit further up Wensleydale on Sunday the 18th.

I hope this helps

Jon

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Weekend Report
Weather fantastic.
Thursday left N Ireland to Scotland down to Helmsley fantastic run 242 miles from ferry port in Scotland.
Thursday afternoon run out to Pickering and Thornton on Dale headed North into the Moors back to Helmsley far to many beers and to bed.
Friday visited the Farmyard Party well done Yorkshire MAG great show nice folks and more riding of the Dales and followed by you guessed it a couple of beers, as we had had to many night before all tucked up in bed for 10 yes 10.
Saturday the coast and back across to the National Park baking hot finished early around 4 back to the Farmyard for some real ale and fantastic food.
Early night as I can confirm due to mainly age and heat we were all bangled.
Sunday
On the road for 8am fed and watered North from Helmsley across the Dales and over to coast up towards Newcastle B roads then west to Scotland back roads some with grass up the middle all the way back to Cairnryan and ferry home.

1065 miles no rain, no breakdowns mostly E10 fuel we used E5 at Shell stations were we could.
Smooth crossings hot and dry some roads we arrived at wet and slippy but no rain landed on us from Thursday to Sunday.
I got hit on the head by a large Pheasant flying out of a hedge think it survived!

I highly recommend the Dales as a place to visit on a bike lovely people fine ale and great food.
Had a blast, now to recover first real test of my knee and it went well, bit sore today.
Thank you all for your suggestions, everyone suggestion covered in our trip, we met some Velocette riders and shared some miles with them. Four of us on a real mix of classic bikes which added to the fun.
Al

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Weekend Report
Weather fantastic.
Thursday left N Ireland to Scotland down to Helmsley fantastic run 242 miles from ferry port in Scotland.
Thursday afternoon run out to Pickering and Thornton on Dale headed North into the Moors back to Helmsley far to many beers and to bed.
Friday visited the Farmyard Party well done Yorkshire MAG great show nice folks and more riding of the Dales and followed by you guessed it a couple of beers, as we had had to many night before all tucked up in bed for 10 yes 10.
Saturday the coast and back across to the National Park baking hot finished early around 4 back to the Farmyard for some real ale and fantastic food.
Early night as I can confirm due to mainly age and heat we were all bangled.
Sunday
On the road for 8am fed and watered North from Helmsley across the Dales and over to coast up towards Newcastle B roads then west to Scotland back roads some with grass up the middle all the way back to Cairnryan and ferry home.

1065 miles no rain, no breakdowns mostly E10 fuel we used E5 at Shell stations were we could.
Smooth crossings hot and dry some roads we arrived at wet and slippy but no rain landed on us from Thursday to Sunday.
I got hit on the head by a large Pheasant flying out of a hedge think it survived!

I highly recommend the Dales as a place to visit on a bike lovely people fine ale and great food.
Had a blast, now to recover first real test of my knee and it went well, bit sore today.
Thank you all for your suggestions, everyone suggestion covered in our trip, we met some Velocette riders and shared some miles with them. Four of us on a real mix of classic bikes which added to the fun.
Al
Al, great to hear you enjoyed your trip to Yorkshire & the dales 1000+ miles, with no rain & no breakdowns-well done !
heres a photo from yesterday in same area 2 Vincents included.
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 19