Misc: Everything Else wiring usb for a GPS

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not being well up on electrics what do I need to do to make a tom-tom work on the bike I have ordered a waterproof case and bracket for handlebars, I hope to connect by way of a USB connector may be bolted onto the crash bar run through a fuse link (what size) back to the battery. (do I need a step down unit from the GPS to the USB or can a simple USB be used). My tom-tom fits in the car via a cigarette lighter plug which has the usual bulky push in adaptor on one end of the wire. I could just use a cigarette lighter adapter placed near the battery id there a better was and what will I need for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is designed to work from a 12 volt source. Why make it more complicated by trying to do something with a USB? If that is present it is likely that it is intended to interface to a computer or some such, rather than as a power feed. Read the instructions. It will probably be able to send out a blue tooth signal and to listen to that you will need blue tooth head phones in your helmet. Perhaps one side only so that you can still hear other traffic. There will be a spec sheet with the device and from that you can find out what size fuse is needed. Just to make sure that you and others know, these days one can do all that is required from a smart phone using either Google Maps, Waze or other software.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Be careful as not all GPS run direct from 12V. I don't know about TomTom's but my Garmin which is a motorcycle version came with a little black box in the lead which is a 12V to 5V converter as the Garmin unit has a micro USB connection in the back and USB is 5V. I know somebody (not myself) who connected a Garmin direct to their bike and not through a voltage convertor and that GPS no longer works.

If you are using a car GPS and putting it in a waterproof case then your lead will have the voltage reduction electronics inside the cigarette plug.

I wanted to be able to swap my GPS from bike to bike and so needed more than the single convertor that came with the unit so I used one of these voltage convertors mounted permanently inside the headlight and then put a waterproof plug tucked between the fuel tank & UFM so I can easily connect the GPS & its cradle to each bikey bike.

All the above is based on my experience with Garmin so you will need to check what your TomTom requires.

Simon

Chris.R

VOC Member
It is designed to work from a 12 volt source. Why make it more complicated by trying to do something with a USB? If that is present it is likely that it is intended to interface to a computer or some such, rather than as a power feed. Read the instructions. It will probably be able to send out a blue tooth signal and to listen to that you will need blue tooth head phones in your helmet. Perhaps one side only so that you can still hear other traffic. There will be a spec sheet with the device and from that you can find out what size fuse is needed. Just to make sure that you and others know, these days one can do all that is required from a smart phone using either Google Maps, Waze or other software.
I guess you would be suggesting to find a space up front of the bike to bolt on a Car jack/fag lighter waterproof version to do so will need a purpose made bracket, I know this is the simplest way to do it with a pair of wires back to the battery. perhaps with a small fuse in the line I jsu hoped to be a little more minimalist and tidier. I don`t have anything blue tooth and no mobile phone, traffic needs to be heard and that's hard enough through modern helmets.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I have lighter jack under the seat fitted to my shadow used as plug in for a 12volt homemade
trouble light

Kevin Emery

VOC Member
You could buy a Tom Tom motorcycle mount bracket which includes a power cable that you connect to the battery. I have just Googled it and there are many available.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi All
I'm afraid that all of these comments are confusing things.
All Automotive GPS units, be they TomTom or Garmin run on 5V DC electrics, with some form of converter, which on the car units is usually in the "Cigarette lighter" plug. Motorcycle specific units tend to either have an in line converter as per Garmin, or it is built into the mount, such as TomTom or the earlier Garmin units.

Unfortunately most "Car" units are designed to use a USB lead which plugs directly into the back of the GPS unit, BUT if you want something semi universal there is nothing to stop you having either a Bike mounted converter or a plug in unit. Please be aware that these converters do draw current all the time, so you will want an inline switch to save your battery/charging system

Hope this clears things up a bit
Neil

erik

VOC Member
Orkney 124.JPG

erik

VOC Member
There is a waterproof connection for the tom tom and the navy is mounted on ram mounts which can be baught in several combinations.