Which side for the sparkplug?

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
I agree with Timetraveller and BigEd Just swing and drop. It has worked for my for 46 years. All on the same Mag that has only been off the machine twice.
As far as stopping the machine on the Enfield de-compressors goes, it is too long ago to be sure, but most likely. In that time my engine would have been more oily
than of late so made more mess if used thus.
Another though, just looked in the Enfield hand book, it looks like all that holds the valve in the lifter is a small pin, just a thought to get the current users worried.
Regards John.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello,
As an aside, Enfield de-compressors, I fitted them too many years ago. What you get is two oil leaks instead of one.
On the Enfield the valve is in a recess ported to the exhausts, on the Vincent all the rubbish is dumped on the heads.
This is made worse if the engine is burning oil.
Regards John.

I really can't understand why people take the trouble fit those horrible Enfield decompressors when presumably the only objective is to stop oil leaks from the standard arrangement which can be made oiltight anyway.

vibrac

VOC Member
Use the decompressor while kicking? use the decompressor for stopping? worried about oil leaks?
No No No :confused:
Use the decompressors for getting the right piston in the right place for a kick, and in that regard the RE decompressors are king. Once you know where the pistons and valves are then kick the damm thing. compression on the front pot wont 'kick' in untill you have finnished your swing. and anyone who keeps a leg on the ground when swinging is either a man mountain or thinks he is on a Triumph.
the only worry I always have is the dreaded quadrant lock.
It should also be said that far too many Vincents are running far to high compressions for what they do, and as a guy with a 13:1 comet and a 6.6 comet I think I should be able to compare. it certainly made me lower the CR on my road twin.