H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Which rims & spokes?

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The rest of the hub components, like bearings, spacers, axle, depends on what you got at home for reuse ?
Chrome and nickel shortage was a government order, not necessarily applicable to other countries. Not for USA certainly, being the superpower. In that time there were a number of mc brands in my country with chromed tanks and all. No paint for chrome replacement due to shortages but I know in BMW singles they had alu bushes in gears in their gearboxes while the twins had bronce. Cannot tell if that was just a money saving exercise or war-dependend.

Vic

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Have all the hub components. Sorted.

America had all their own chrome and nylons to burn....
We had nothing left in the fifties, the cupboard was bare, rationing went on long into the late nineteen seventies Apparently in the seventies a special voucher was needed even to get a haircut.
I have seen the pictures of my poor Dad circa 1970, long hair ,beard and clogs on his feet.
Desperate times, but you could by a Vincent for a tenner.
Luxury.

LoneStar

VOC Member

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Speaking of car wheels I have found modern car wheels are an excellent thing for the initial building up of a wheel, lay the car wheel on something with the flange downwards and pack your hub up to the approximate level you want with the rim resting on the car tyre, this provides a nice round non slip surface, then start putting the spokes in from the bottom (which you can with a Vincent).
You can get all the spokes in and it somewhere near without moving it (unlike a wheel building stand where the thing flops everywhere to begin with).

vibrac

VOC Member
the crome shortage Thats why my 52 Trophy is the only year they did not have a crome tank I note that rims were still cromed.
a little more about a taveners jig
given a true but rusty wheel (or a borrowed one) mount it on a firm surface (I had an old kitchen work surfacet) firmly securing the hub with a dummy spindle and using some short pieces of angle iron, steel packers and shims accurately locate the rim in 4 positions. cut the spokes off (or if a borowed wheel substitute your hub in the center) and add a new rim then, following your photo (you did take some diddent you?) lace up und tighten till spokes all ring true. You will be amazed how close it is, as I say I had to do this with a hub center front wheel and back in the frame it only needed the slightest of tweeks
Its all in the vintage motorcycle owners workshop book

Last edited: