FT: Frame (Twin) Where does FT24 attach to the rear mudguard/fender

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is there a way of defining the position for these supports (left and right) ? - these are the two (LH and RH) that are forward of the looped support/handle and terminate just bolted to each side of the rear mudgaurd. Eg. so many inches fwd of the hinge, or maybe in line with the seat supports etc. I hate to drill the mudguard only to be told after that it's incorrectly positioned.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there a way of defining the position for these supports (left and right) ? - these are the two (LH and RH) that are forward of the looped support/handle and terminate just bolted to each side of the rear mudgaurd. Eg. so many inches fwd of the hinge, or maybe in line with the seat supports etc. I hate to drill the mudguard only to be told after that it's incorrectly positioned.
Are you thinking of FT22/4.Take a look at 'Know thy beast' rear frame section, the reference says they should line up with the central set screw at the rear?? of the seat.John

greg brillus

VOC Member
Their position dictates the alignment of the rear brake light switch in relation to the brake rods. If they are set too far forward, the switch points too far down at the front and the sliding part of the switch is pulling upward and forward, this tends to cause the switch to bind up somewhat. So really the stays need to be set at a near right angle to the brake rods. Don't be fooled into thinking they sit in the middle of the distance between the rear lifting handle and the upper attachment of the rear frame. Good luck............Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
While you're at it run a strip of curved alloy across between them under the mudguard, it helps lessen vibration. Also make sure your rear stand bolts are fairly snug on their Thackeray washers to the same end, just allowing the stand to be pushed down with light hand pressure.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not quite in line with the bolt in the center line of the mudguard, about 1/2 inch towards the lifting handle. Just over 7.5 inches from the center of the frontmost bolt on the hinge, to the centerline of the bolts on the stays. Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

IMG_1918.JPGIMG_1919.JPGIMG_1920.JPGIMG_1922.JPG

erik

VOC Member
i enlarged the hole in the brakeswitch and now it is possible to finetune the Position of the Switch and the Point when the brakelight starts to shine.regards erik

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
As always, above, I am not saying all bikes were, or should be, this way. But those pics are from an unmolested Shadow built late 1952, so that is how that bike was done.