H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel bearings.

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Vincent,
thank you very much for the nice comment, it is good to hear that you appreciate my work. I am sure that you like your wheel!
Unfortunately with yet another lockdown, everything has gone pear shaped and it is really hard to guess any delivery time.

Bernd

oexing

VOC Member
Naah, Vincent, buying ready made does not appear to me very inspiring. I stll got some more ideas in my head about hubs and brakes . So once more hooray into the workshop for materializing any ideas I dreamt of. Well, retired toolmakers, what can one say . . . .

Vic

Alyson

VOC Member
When I started building my 8 inch brakes, I thought about fitting sealed ball bearings. I was talking to members during the last internal rally and the thought was I was taking it to far away from standard.
As my hubs use 30204 taper rollers and Nilos rings, I could use ball bearings in the future if this did not upset members too much

Bernd
BMW used the 30204 taper bearings in their wheels for the /2 models. These are million mile bearings as they will last that long as long as they are properly shimmed and greased.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
BMW used the 30204 taper bearings in their wheels for the /2 models. These are million mile bearings as they will last that long as long as they are properly shimmed and greased.
And BMW specify a pre-load on theses bearings not some free play as I believe Vincent does.
Cheers Bill

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
The advised play on a vinnie hub, is more or less useless as a heated hub will expand (not only in the lenght......) so the whole becomes more loose (well ok depending the interf fit) i have tested this more than once on a new wheel, nothing wrong, still the same bit of load there as cold.

its a taper!!!!!!!

mind 1:
the old ones without interference fit. its junk yard stuff anyway.

mind 2
the preload one puts on the rear frame pivot with the M12 (sorry marcus...1/2bsf) nuts, one just puts such high loads on the long hollow axle it becomes smaller.

mind 3 the same as in 2 counts when using ALU hollow wheel axles

cheers

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont get into BMW tapered wheel bearings there is a long long internet ramble about fitting the rear one from a guy 'snowbum' he certainly knows his stuff but it gave me the jitters more like a heart transplant than fitting a bearing ......

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am seriously contemplating getting rid of my Vincents, they seem to have so many lamentable faults built in from new, I think I have taken risks for long enough, 55 years years in fact, I now discover that the hubs and wheel bearings are not fit for purpose, God have I been lucky!

oexing

VOC Member
The real BMW classics from fifties to Earles fork types had cast iron hub centers, not alu as from /5 series - with their problems of wearing bores. These cast iron hubs were designed for heavy sidecar use like frames etc. , so you did not set preload on the taper roller bearings. In fact you had the bearings with inner and outer spacers mounted with axle and nuts in one hand and checked the outer spacer for just being able to shift sideways by thumb pressure so nil clearance but no preload as well. So after this check you then mounted the lot into the iron hub. There was rarely ever any oversize worn bearing seat in these hubs with cast iron and the Earles fork BMWs were more or less the best bikes ever made for sidecar use, for some more reasons too.
To be open, I do not see a reason for having play in a Vincent alu hub, there should not be much of a temperature rise around bearings when all is right. So why have play there from the beginning, brake heat has to go a long way to reach there ?? Vincent S. has confirmed that no corrrections were necessary for temperature effects. I wonder if anybody has ever touched hubs for heat from typical road use ?

Vic