Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' What Would the Original Dynamo Have Been?

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you use an LED headlamp bulb, and have no accessories added, an original 60W 6V Lucas E3L dynamo is entirely sufficient.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Years ago I fitted what was called the Bell conversion to a six volt dynamo. It did everything it was supposed to but was still inadequate, hence the Walkernators. My advice is to go for a proper 12 volt system.

LoneStar

VOC Member
Most of the conversions give you somewhat higher output in watts, but there are limits to what can be safely delivered from a given dynamo.

But it comes down to draw vs. dynamo output. The 6V 60-watt Lucas E3L was adequate as originally fitted to a Black Prince with a 24W headlamp, so it should be fine if you switch to a 10W LED bulb. Of course if you plan to add turn signals or other accessories, you may need more power.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Most of the conversions give you somewhat higher output in watts, but there are limits to what can be safely delivered from a given dynamo.

But it comes down to draw vs. dynamo output. The 6V 60-watt Lucas E3L was adequate as originally fitted to a Black Prince with a 24W headlamp, so it should be fine if you switch to a 10W LED bulb. Of course if you plan to add turn signals or other accessories, youpower.may need more p

Many thanks to all. This should help.me set direction.

Stuart

John Cone

VOC Member
I had my E3L dynamo rewound to 12v but in the end opted to fit a Citreon 2CV alternator. But there is nothing that can't be put back to original. It all depends if you are going to ride the Prince or pass on it on to make a fast buck. Mines is in constant use weather permitting.