Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' What Would the Original Dynamo Have Been?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning All,

So I'm gathering the parts together for restoration and return to some form of originality for my 1955 Black Prince.

Currently she has an alternator fitted and a battery from a BMW bike mounted on one side of the rear wheel in the cowl.

I intend to return her to original electrics and remove the indicators and such like.

What would the original fitted dynamo have been please?

I'm guessing a Lucas item?

Many thanks and appreciated.

I'd imagine the first of a long list of threads. For now I'm just beginning the gathering of necessary parts. I bought a new set of carbs from Burlen some time ago and they are on the shelf. I'm told the handlebar switches are from a Yamaha LC so some Yamaha owner will be thrilled...

No plans to start work for quite some time....

Regards

Stuart

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Ahh, Norman thank you - I had overlooked that indeed. Nope, 6 volt not a sensible option.

So that drives the next question, what would the recommendation be to fit to convert to 12 volts and maintain the fitment size and location and perhaps some look of originality?

For example I had my C Rapide Dynamo converted to 12 volts and run pazon ignition and a Grosset Starter very successfully with a 14AH battery.

Should I find the correct Lucas dynamo and have the similar thing done to have it operate 12 volts. No plans for electric start on the Prince, and intend to retain the original Lucas Coil ignition.

Thanks for the assistance and nice to hear from you.

"Chankly Bore", thank you for the additional, specific and helpful information. Much appreciated.

Stuart

b'knighted

VOC Member
If you insist on using an original Lucas E3L fit the Lucas regulator box but replace the contents with a Vreg II. It will fit inside a Miller cartridge case so it shouldn’t take much to fit it inside the Lucas box in place of the electro-mechanical bits still using the original external terminals.
The VregII can be used 6v or 12v but won’t enhance the output wattage.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Stuart, the Walkernators that I produce are much larger than standard so to keep as much as possible of the original appearance the Alton is a good solution. Just make sure it is one of the newer ones.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I'm very satisfied with the Alton on my D Rapide. The original Lucas wasn't very good. The standard D distributor is fine, as long it's in good shape. I had to have mine rebuilt but now works quite well.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
You can get 12v field coils and armatures for the Lucas dynamo, I have fitted them to the dynamos on my Shadowish and replica Brough SS100 and 11-50s. I have bought them from FEKED lately and used a Dynamo Regulators DVR2 regulator.