T: Fuel Tank What do you think

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a Series C Rapide tank which is leaking badly and am wondering about buying an Indian made tank - are they well enough made to give a go?
Personally I would say that this like saying "How long is a piece of string"
Some are average, some are poor, occasionally you can get a good one.

I would get one un painted, so that you can fettle things such as front mounting lugs etc, then get it painted

Best of luck

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That reminds me of a friend telling me 50+ years ago about his '50's Harley 4 speed gearbox, "One of 'ems bound to work!"

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a Series C Rapide tank which is leaking badly and am wondering about buying an Indian made tank - are they well enough made to give a go?
I have fitted two Indian made tanks.
The first was on a friends bike after he had an accident. The new tank fitted the bike straight out of the box apart from we had to adjust the angle of the timing side fuel tap threaded boss slightly as the tap was initially hitting the rocker oil pipe. The problem with this tank was the general upper shape was wrong and the top was lower and when measured it was nearly 1/3 gallon less in size to a factory tank.

The 2nd was a tank we fitted was to a Comet and the upper shape was spot on and the tank held the correct amount of fuel but I don't know where this tank came from exactly as it just came with the bike and the owner said it was Indian sourced. The problem was the underside was lower in the area where the bolt goes through the rear of the UFM and F106. The nuts on the end of this bolt/stud were hitting the underside of the tank and on an original tank the nuts are just below the underside and so some quite serious cutting adjusting and welding of that area was needed. I don't know if the tank would have fitted a 1000cc twin though.

If buying an Indian made tank, get one unpainted and be prepared to have to work on it.

Simon

oexing

VOC Member
After long thinking about this I finally had an alu tank from India - and as expected a lot of bashing and welding was required to fit it onto the Vincent. The tank looked a bit more rounded on their photos , several dealers all got exactly same photos, so you will not know what you get in the end. The tank got two liters extra at least. For me it did not come with surprises as you can read lots of stories online so you are prepared for "adjustments" , dealers do not answer complaints.

Vic
P1110464.JPG

P1110465.JPG

P1120203.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Cutouts already there, that is why I liked the tank. Enter "Vincent alu tank " in Ebay, there are a few on sale - still exactly same photos, see underside for tell-tale details. So it is some gamble about what you really get. Well, for that money I took that gamble, not so sure I will have it on the Vincent a lot of the time, at least a choice.

Vic
alu tank

alu tank no. 2