Welcome to new forum website member, ShepFlyLow

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@ShepFlyLow - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

www.vincentownersclub.co.uk is more than just a forum, we're a worldwide community of Vincent Motorcycle enthusiasts, and we're keen to help anyone with an interest.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

ShepFlyLow

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, I have a few motorcycles—perhaps the most interesting being a 1979 Honda CBX purchased new and ridden her frequently back in the day! I am looking for a Vincent in Southern California. I’m interested in the Vincent after reading about Big Sid and but more recently after seeing many of the marque at the 2022 Las Vegas auction. Thanks for adding me to the group — any advice is welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My advice would be to tread carefully and check any bike for sale before buying as there are owner restamped bikes and clone bikes using new engines and frame parts being passed off as originals. Don’t rely on old certificates or fairy tales been told by the seller as anything could have happened to a bike since issued years ago plus we are now seeing fake certificates in circulation. Have a read:

Simon Dinsdale
VOC Machine Registrar

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Will you have the bike in Hawaii? Without the benefit of being there since I was 3, my image is not very high speed limits.

ShepFlyLow

Forum User
VOC Member
My advice would be to tread carefully and check any bike for sale before buying as there are owner restamped bikes and clone bikes using new engines and frame parts being passed off as originals. Don’t rely on old certificates or fairy tales been told by the seller as anything could have happened to a bike since issued years ago plus we are now seeing fake certificates in circulation. Have a read:

Simon Dinsdale
VOC Machine Registrar
Hello—thanks—any prospective purchases will be submitted to your registrar group. Thank you for the advice!

ShepFlyLow

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello VOC. I thought I should follow up and thank you all for the advice! I did purchase a 1952 ”Red / Black” Rapide that many of you may be familiar with earlier this year. The bike (engine F10AB/1/8353) was formerly owned by Herb Ailslieger of the SoCal chapter. Thank you to Mr. Lambley (VOC Registrar) for researching the bike for me prior to the purchase. The bike is undergoing a comprehensive restoration. If anyone has any photographs or first hand information on the bike I certainly would appreciate the information as most of the records and photographs were lost between several auction houses prior to my purchase.

Attachments

• CF51E448-1031-49B9-A4A4-1748C378473A.jpeg
    CF51E448-1031-49B9-A4A4-1748C378473A.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 29

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Mike. Yes, your bike has a known history in LA, my father knew Herb. Here is a picture of my father on the left, Herb in the middle, and Don Mathews on the right. Both Herb and Don had Red/Black Touring Rapides.

full

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a picture that @Somer took, I think in the 2000's or 2010's. Herb had moved away from LA way back, and decades later, my father was able to re-establish contact with Herb, and Herb re-joined the VOC. Somer was traveling through Kansas, and looked up Herb.

Herb's bike at the time of the picture below, appears to have the same non-standard tail light as seen in the picture above.

HerbAilsleger.jpg

ShepFlyLow

Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you both for the excellent photos! I am sure Herb would have been pleased to know the bike will soon be splendidly restored, and maybe even a little nicer ;)