Welcome to new forum website member, kinsellm

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@kinsellm - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

kinsellm

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the welcome message.
I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years, but only managed to acquire my first Vincent about 2 months ago. I have a 1951 Black Shadow, fairly close to standard apart from a modern BTH magneto and 12volt -ve earth DVR2 voltage regulator. I am thinking of replacing the standard Amal carbs with 30mm Mk II concentrics, mainly because I think they will be easier to keep leak free.
My main interest in the bike is to ride it when the weather is reasonably dry. I live close to Portland, Oregon, so I guess this may not be too often. :=)

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Welcome to the forum.

The standard carbs usually drip due to either the float height being too high or using the side stand with the fuel tap left on.
These carbs might look old, but they match your bike and, when set up properly, work just fine - even in the rain.

kinsellm

Forum User
VOC Member
Welcome to the forum.

The standard carbs usually drip due to either the float height being too high or using the side stand with the fuel tap left on.
These carbs might look old, but they match your bike and, when set up properly, work just fine - even in the rain.
Thanks. I have experienced the side stand effect already. Not a problem to remember to turn the taps off. But the front carb in particular seems to leak intermittently, as if the float needle is not always seating correctly. Neither carb leaks when the engine is running. The bodies of the carbs look like they have been bead, or sand blasted many times., So very clean, but clearly less metal than when they left the factory. Looking at the price difference between the standard cans and concentrics made me think of getting the concentrics for riding, and keeping the originals for spares/back up.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Turn the taps off a couple of blocks from your stop. Sure cure for carb leaks, assuming your taps do not leak.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Dave Hills centre stand is very good , If set at the right height easy to put the bike on and off,
And keeps the Bike upright.
Cheers Bill.