Welcome to new forum website member, Kid Eager

Kid Eager

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well I haven’t found anything half as cool as two big clocks on a Vincent; I’m yet to ride her, but guess they’ll act as a bikini fairing!
Damage to my knee is the biggest setback to getting her on the road so far. My knee was recovering from a serious incident when I first started the Vincent. That activity was too much and caused a setback in recovery and stern words from my wife but within days it buckled backwards again (like the original injury) under the force of a falling gent’s head at the market. Crazy bad luck. Sleeping and walking are getting less painful again and it may already be possible to start the Vincent, at cost of further recovery setback, associated pain and compromised sleep. Can you understand the temptation? My wife said she’ll divorce me if I wilfully damage it again and has offered to learn to start the Vincent. She’s a lean (50kg plus) fit running enthusiast. The Vincent has really good compression and while having easy cranking with spark plugs out is still fairly stiff with decompressor engaged. A fair match for my wife? I’m seeking a roller starter but might have to build one.
The local Vincent community is small. The motorbike tyre shop owner gasped when I said what my proffered wheel was off- “is that the Vincent everyone is trying to buy?”. Someone asked him to inspect it with a view to purchase, he refused and it’s not for sale anyway! He said there is another Vincent in town, he’s had two through his workshop over the years. He admonished me for preparing it for the road, saying it should be in an air conditioned glass case in a museum. Another mechanic and enthusiast explained to me that this was jealousy, and that he too is jealous with a lifelong dream of owning one. And sounded me out on the likelihood of this coming on market.
It is a pitty I didn’t get to talk with David Bowen before he passed away. He was in contact with the owner over the years, repeatedly trying to buy this machine back again. The owner is frustrated that time has erased his memory of details given by David about this bike. He’s amazed at the interest this community has in his bike and the helpful advice offered.

David probably fitted the concentric carbs as the owner recalls nothing about the change. He probably bought the bike from David before 1966, when decimal currency was introduced. He spent a weekend at Don Tilbrook’s place getting the Tilbrook sidecar fitted. He transported the Vincent by truck to and from Adelaide for that. It got prizes at bike shows with sidecar attached. He recalls getting the centre stand fitted, presumably after the chair was removed. I’m yet to attach the sidecar. I’m guessing the centre stand, which has a long handle, has to come off to fit the chair. However, the chair has had one upper strut replaced with a curvaceous one. Maybe that’s for the centre stand handle? We’ll know more when we put them together, but there’s another problem-.
The bike resided in the living room for 30 odd years, with the chair outside. It might be possible to wriggle the chair inside, but not to ride out! How long does it take to fit and remove this chair? The bike belongs inside. My friend wants me to ride it for his pleasure, as long as it comes back at night. There is no secure parking with chair attached. He is a gun collector who promises a “warm” welcome to intruders inside his house.

The most recent cause of my becoming dismounted was fitting road tyres to my dirt bike then (of course) seeing what dirt it could handle. A thin clay slick took the front out from under me before I realised what happened. That historic Vincent hard front tyre might be similar on bitumen. To ride it solo, I’d want fresh rubber. The current front tyre still has the moulding feathers on centre tread, holds air and has scrubbed up well with no cracks. (the bike tyre shop owner, who thinks it should be in a museum, didn’t want to disturb the historic tyre.) The sidecar tyre still has the ink markings on it’s tread. I’m thinking for initial running just use the old tyres at low speed with sidecar stability, then source a front tyre next year. Can you get 20 inch tubes, or do you put 21inch tubes in?

The nearest city is thousands of km away from here, so the internet contains the pool of local knowledge. Thanks!

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you ride it solo, No side car, The front forks have to be reset !!!!!!!!!,
There are 2 positions for the lower eccentrics, which alters the Trail !!!!!!,
Very dangerous to ride solo with side car setting.

Even with redoing the setting, I think a Vincent needs an Hydraulic Steering damper,
About £50 plus a few steel plates.

Maybe drain the engine oil and fit 30 weight single grade oil to make the engine turn over more easy ?,
Have you changed the oil filter ?.

Don't like the sound of your bad leg ?,
Vincent's have been known to kick back, If you use too much throttle,
Maybe not worth the risk ?.
I use a medical Bandage on my knees, But my knees are nowhere near as bad as yours ?,
Or I would fit an electric starter !.
Good Luck, Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_124840 (4).jpg
    IMG_20210603_124840 (4).jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 11

delboy

VOC Member
As far as I know Vincent never used a 5" tachometer. It was a company in London called Auto Tempo Instruments Ltd who aquired a lot of the Smiths stock in the 1970's who then modified some 5" speedometers to tachometers. They also built brand new 5" Shadow speedometers as well.

Whenever the Vincent factory fitted tachometers to a bike, say a grey Flash or Lightning, they were always the smaller 3" unit.
Simon,
Haven't I seen pics of some pre-war Vincent race bikes with a large rev-counter by the riders right knee?
Or is it just my old age memory playing tricks?
Cheers,
Delboy.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
20 inch inner tube

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Simon,
Haven't I seen pics of some pre-war Vincent race bikes with a large rev-counter by the riders right knee?
Cheers,
Delboy.
Sorry I don't know anything about a large rev counter on pre war bikes.
As the twin clocks on later bikes have a nickname of teddy bears ears, was the pre war one you describe possibly called the teddy bears knee?

delboy

VOC Member
Sorry I don't know anything about a large rev counter on pre war bikes.
As the twin clocks on later bikes have a nickname of teddy bears ears, was the pre war one you describe possibly called the teddy bears knee?
Can't find the knee position picture, it's in my brain cell somewhere.
However, there are several of Jack Williams with a works TT bike in '37 with what looks suspiciously like an early version of a 5" Speedo.
[Pg 46 of "Vincents, HRDs, and the Isle of Man." David Wright's book. And others]
I guess they are Keig photos.
Cheers,
Delboy.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Maybe one of the Bonneville Lightnings had the tach mounted low to be easy to see with your head down, watching the black stripe on the salt?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Simon,
Cheers,
Delboy.
The 1935 Sunbeam Model 95L was also fitted with a five inch speedometer.

Kid Eager

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Took the old girl for her first spin in 20 or 30 years! I am thankful that the owner has allowed me to have this satisfying experience with his Vincent.

Lapped the leaky fuel needle valve with toothpaste (again) and at last stopped the carby flooding. (I have float and needle upgrade and carby overhaul kits on order)
Getting the hang of starting her with my left leg (due to injured right knee).
The rear sprocket has 46 teeth, tall gearing in first gear solo in my opinion; can’t see it pulling a sidecar happily with that gearing. I wonder if there was a larger sprocket, now forgotten and lost?
Riding wasn’t a joy as I have not carefully prepared the bike. The focus of the owner was for me to get it going! So we achieved that but I have not yet adjusted the brake pedal or gear lever height, the pegs keep folding, I haven’t organised a mirror, the tyres are old and hard and it needs tuning. Also, I have to get used to the rear brake and gears being on the *wrong* side. How long till that becomes automatic, especially when daily riding is opposite?
Headlight is a feeble yellow, first I’ll check where the voltage drop is but I’m guessing LED bulbs for more for daytime visibility.
The tachometer is jerky, I wonder if I should disconnect it to prevent damage. Is there any DIY maintenance for it?

The important thing is the bike works and my friend is happy!
Next, sort out those matters for a safe and pleasant ride. I’ll try to source both a larger sprocket and the elusive 20 inch front tyre.

Thanks for the advice about tyres, tubes, steering damper, fork setting and more.
The forks are in solo position. I changed the oil filter. Being a borrowed machine, I’m unlikely to modify for steering damper or other non original improvements unless they greatly improve my safety and that of the bike.

Is it worth fitting the sidecar with the 46 tooth sprocket? It’s a 1 1/2 seater (for mother and child) so not light, but my aim for the sidecar is stability when on the hard old front tyre.