Welcome to new Forum Website member, Dogmanwal

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Dogmanwal - welcome to the online Forum Website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club Forum Website.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

www.vincentownersclub.co.uk is more than just a forum, we're a worldwide community of Vincent Motorcycle enthusiasts, and we're keen to help anyone with an interest.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Dogmanwal

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
An elderly friend of mine now passed used to tell me that he was a test rider for Vincent’s, he said he rode on the 100,000 mile test that was done on a Vincent, do you have any details or articles on this test? And any details of the riders? My friend was named James Reagan, not certain of the spelling,

I’ve done a search on Google and there is mention of the test but nothing about the riders.

Thanks in anticipation

Walt

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a list of the standard Vincent factory test riders and cannot find anybody with name James Reagan or anything close. The 100,000 bike was roadtested for a total of 50 miles by Jim Sugg who was employed at Vincent as a tester and then was shipped out to a dealer in Liverpool called Reynolds.

I believe the actual 100,000 mile test was done by Tony Rose who was a private detective and he owned the bike at the time. It was not the factory exercise, they just serviced the bike in preparation.

That is as much as I know.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just found this article on the internet about the 100,000 mile test and it shows Tony Rose on the bike with Jim Redman in the sidecar. Could Jim Redman be James Regan? Its just over half way down the page:

Dogmanwal

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a list of the standard Vincent factory test riders and cannot find anybody with name James Reagan or anything close. The 100,000 bike was roadtested for a total of 50 miles by Jim Sugg who was employed at Vincent as a tester and then was shipped out to a dealer in Liverpool called Reynolds.

I believe the actual 100,000 mile test was done by Tony Rose who was a private detective and he owned the bike at the time. It was not the factory exercise, they just serviced the bike in preparation.

Simon
Thank you, Jim Reagan was from Liverpool so maybe a connection with Tony Rose, maybe more will come to light

Dogmanwal

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just found this article on the internet about the 100,000 mile test and it shows Tony Rose on the bike with Jim Redman in the sidecar. Could Jim Redman be James Regan? Its just over half way down the page:

Just had a look at that photo and there is a likeness with Jim Reagan.

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Simon
My Norvin's engine was a part of Rapide sold by Reynolds of Liverpool back in '51.
Were they a big Vincent dealer? How many machine sold through the dealership?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My Norvin's engine was a part of Rapide sold by Reynolds of Liverpool back in '51.
Were they a big Vincent dealer? How many machine sold through the dealership?
Reynolds sold at least 265 brand new Vincent's so one of the larger UK dealerships.

Dogmanwal

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I’ve sent the photo to another friend of Jim’s, he also thinks that it is Jim Reagan,
jim was an engineer and he had studied with the Vincent founder. Said he was a brilliant engineer, but not a business man. Regards wal
Does anyone have a link to the article about Tony Rose and the 100.000 miles ride? There may be a mention of Jim in one of them.