Vokes Air Filter for Vincent

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am wanting to fit period looking air filters to a Vincent. I understand Vokes is the brand that was offered by the factory? Where is the documentation for Vincent air filters.

I dont need help with modern fitment brands K&N, UNI, etc and the like. I understand the modern options.

The question is with vintage, period brands of filters Vokes, Talboy, etc.

Thanks
Craig VokesDecal2.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Vokes filter period documentation

Thanks Bob, Yes , i have recieved the same set of photos from Steve. What i require now is the documentation on Vokes air filters from the time period (1950-55), hopefully with graphics to best understand what the original equipment looked like. Catalogs, magazines, etc might be where this data would come from. I dont think the Vokes filter model would be specific for Vincent, but you never know.
Thanks for any help
Craig
VokesFilterReproduction1.jpg

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I have original Vokes filters on my twin, they look exactly the same as the one in the photo, mounting is by an angled aluminium casting that screws on to the carb and can be rotated to clear the tank etc, before being locked in position by a pinch bolt.
The filter element is apparently not interchangable with the reproduction units and is made of a cleanable metal gauze.
The only real down side is it makes getting to the back plug a bit difficult.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Jim, Thanks for your input on the Vokes filters.
Is the angled base plate something that the owner might have done or is it definately a factory angle?
Does the angle make for a front and rear model Vokes filter?
What is the OD, thickness, etc?
Can you post pictures of these Vokes filters?
Thanks for any more help on this
Craig
ReproductionVokesCoverRemoved.jpg
PS Bob, these pictures dont make sense to me from a thickness or height point. The K&N insert seems way too tall for a stock looking Vokes. Are your pictures more clear on this?

Last edited:

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I will have to have a proper look tonight, but the Vokes canister is fixed ( screwed I think ) to a cast tube, which has a bend in it and split for a pinch bolt at the carb end.
It has been commercially manufactured and I think would fit on both sides, now I think of it the same adaptor would fit on most machines if you needed to angle the filter to get clearance.
I did see another bike at Hever fitted with the repro vokes, but didnt notice what adaptors they were fitted with, but they just looked the same as mine but shiney and new.
JimR

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I had a look at the filters last night, I can't get a decent photo of the assy, because the tank obscures too much.
The adaptors are about 2.5"- 3" long, male thread into the canister and have about 30 degree bend, right and left hand appear to be the same.

JimR

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
In the photo archive for White horse rally 2008 image 1685 and 1691 are of my Twin, in image 1685 you can see the offside filter, but not much detail, Stuart may be able to zoom in on the area for you.
I will troll around and see if I have been captured on camera else where.

JimR

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Jim, i cant find an easy way to access specific photos based on 1685, 1691 in white horse 2008. What the secret to bringing up these photos?

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I struggled this morning, if you go to the forum home page and click on the SERVICES drop down menu you see a heading for PHOTOS, click on and they are categorised by year, then by event.
Once you have the event open, as you run the cursor over each photo, the text at the bottom of the page shows the file info including the number, there maybe a quicker way not known to me.

JimR