Vincent Series D Black Shadow

Vfxdog

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A number of dealers have approached me offering to sell the bike on my behalf, but it's not in MPH. I would like to point out that it's the dealers that have set the asking price, not me. Raider have posted several bikes of mine on their site, with my approval.

Still, the D Shadow coming up with Bonhams in April with an estimate of £60000 to £70000 puts things into perspective, and that very rough C series going for nearly £80K in Vegas is also quite a good yardstick.

I have seen a number of this model around with the large speedo and a similar headlight to mine- where can I get the "correct" headlight?

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I do not think that you will find a steel head lamp shell laying around, but if it is an original look that you are looking for, then a call to Vinparts may tell you if they have any of the fibreglass shells that I made some twenty years ago for the series D. Cheers, ET43

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

As someone with an aversion to the titillating sport of taming tank slippers, viewing that right upper front spring box securing bodge one might want to go through that entire front end before setting out for a canter.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It might not be a bodge. Years ago I had a small Avon handlebar fairing on a twin which had a similar fixing. Having said that, the bike is clearly a bitza and who knows what will be found if it is stripped down and checked over.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

I stand corrected. That observation prompted by having studied a machine in which an enterprising fettler ran out of bicep attempting to secure a spring box freehand, started the fixing bolt cocked which then jammed and broke off. The lot was drilled out, then deeper and then a stud turned in and a jam nut holding the box in place. Only problem....the spring box bushing was bearing on the stud threads.

Last edited:

deejay499

VOC Member
Yes, it is a fixing for a handlebar screen which has a bracket on it then a nut on the outside. All in all not a bad bike that just needs a bit of tyding up and sorting. The price is only what someone is willing to pay in the end. Good luck to the seller.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Sure has a lot of mods for only 13K. C front stands, C mag cover, no front fender stand, bantam gaiters, wrong headlight, wrong speedo, rebuilt seat, probably lots more.
You'd be far better off with Vinny Long Legs.
Cheers, John
Hi,

After 2 years of searching, I found a series D rapide which had been in the same gentleman's ownership almost from new. It had 17,000 miles on the clock which was estimated to be realistically 117,000 miles + or minus. I paid multiples less than the asking price of this one. It took me 3 years to rebuild and I could have taken it back to original if I had wanted to but I thought that the guy who had it so long had more experience than I so I restored it as he had modified it.
It has C stands, C cowl, QD spindles, bantam gaiters and finned front drums as well as period ss fasteners. I used over 90% of the original fasteners.To me these are practical mods and don't detract from the bike altough they would frowned on by purists. I also fitted and O ring chain since I ride the bike a lot.
I did get a 5" speedo with the bike but after talking to Ron Kemp, decided not to fit it. I also tided up the fuel pipe routing to the carbs using T fittings.
Steel headlight shells, red dot ammeters, and rear gaiters are unavailable and even the National Motorcycle museum doesn't know where they got the gaiter on their bike. With the exception of the gaiter, the other original part were there. I think it's unrealistic to expect to find completely original bikes given their age.
Vinnylong legs lives a few miles from me and I know the guy who did most of the mods to that bike and in comparison to the one advertised (price aside), it's probably as far from standard as you could get.

Vfxdog

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Bike has sold for the full asking price. New owner has taken delivery and is delighted with his purchase.

Thanks to all those who provided useful input and helpful advice.