Vincent Grey Flash Patrick Godet

Gerry Jenkinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Gerry Jenkinson

VOC Member
To explain "captain sparkle".
As the course is near 40 miles it is impossible to cover a race. So last year I searched te net for video that showed the 2014 Godet team. I found 6 clips. I sought and received permission to include their footage.
In 2015 some of them specically filmed Bruno and sent me the footage for inclusion.
Davidd was directed to the "captain sparkle" link as the footage is "tagged" with both our names
I have never met any of the contributors.

Manx Grand Prix, 500cc Classic TT in 2015.

Gerry Jenkinson
Email gerry@vindeo.co.uk
Videos https://vimeo.com/channels/vindeo
Website www.gerryjenkinson.co.uk[/QUOTE]

Mike13

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
bell9.jpg

D

Deleted member 3831

The earlier mention of 62 hp as being sufficient to win the Classic TT rather interests me, and prompts me to ask whether that would be power measured at the rear wheel or the crankshaft.
Power measured at the rear wheel is generally understood to be optimistic, not so much intended as a realistic measure of power but as a selling tool, unscrupulously manipulated by many shops as 'proof' of their tuning competence.
Of all the top single cylinder contenders in the UK Classic Racing scene, I know of only one machine that has recorded 60 rwhp, this being a two valve 500cc Summerfield Manx Norton, owned and tuned by Ted Woof. This machine has recorded in 2017 the first ever 110 mph lap of the Isle of Man TT circuit
Despite what numbers have been bandied about that would suggest that 70 hp is being reached, these rumours are just that - rumours. The only engines making that kind of power are the multi cylinder machines, MV, Paton, Honda and the like.
A single cylinder 2 valve pushrod engine in Classic Racing will be making excellent power for it's type if it can get into the 50 rwhp bracket, and if PEI's assessment of a 10% difference between crankshaft and rear wheel power is used as a guide, this indicates crankshaft power of 55 bhp or better.
The only worthwhile means of accurately measuring engine power is via an engine dynamometer, but these days in the UK, would appear to be few and far between.

vibrac

VOC Member
I don't suppose to many it does not matter has accurate the device is only that it is consistent once it is consistent you can measure improvement and so long as your changes bring improvement that's what matters perhaps the comparison with others is more what the game is all about

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't suppose to many it does not matter has accurate the device is only that it is consistent once it is consistent you can measure improvement and so long as your changes bring improvement that's what matters perhaps the comparison with others is more what the game is all about
Talk is cheap. Bigger horsepower numbers are easy to dream up. In racing the important number is the smallest number, the one you get in the results list, "1" being the preferred target. (It may be argued that "0" is less than "1" but "0" usually means a DNF and should be avoided if possible.;))