Vincent 1951 series c Rapide with BTH Electronic ignition

allgoodfun

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was given at birth the above bike, shes sat still until now 40 years later, when yesterday I cleaned out the fuel tank and carbs, changed oil etc, today I put on a new BTH electronic ignition system, and she started up after 6 kicks - what a beautiful sounding beast !

Anyway I need a gearchanger lever for it and not sure which is the correct one to order, and from where, but also I noticed that the kickstarter has play in it where it comes out of the casing, what should I do with that?

I do have a full workshop, and can turn any sleeves if that's the answer???

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Go to a local section meeting and you should find all the help you need. Do you have all the necessary books to assist in maintaining the bike? Books and gear lever available at the Vincent Owners Spares Company. I assume you changed the oil in the engine and gearbox but a new filter would also be recommended. Oil or grease the forks too. There is a good chance all the grease in the bearings has hardened a bit so check wheels and rear frame member pivot. Check the speedo drive gearbox as they have a tendency to seize if the grease has gone hard; I bought a brand new one recently and after 40 years it needed pulling apart and re-greasing. The seat mounts could probably do with oiling as well. Enjoy.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Second that on joining the VOC and finding a section. Beg, borrow, or steal "Know Thy Beast", "40 Years On", "Another 10 Years", The Instruction Sheets, Spare List, and Richardson's book and you will have just about all technical info about Vincents. Combine that with the vast wealth of knowledge and experience to be found on this forum and you should be alright. Welcome to the fold. How about posting a picture of the Rapide?
Steven

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Speaking of grease gone hard in speedo gearboxes, what is the best type of grease for the speedo gears? I have used general purpose grease, which eventually does lose it's oils and go hard, plus has great resistance in cold weather. Feeling very clever, I switched to white Lithium grease this year. The Lithium grease is hyped as non hardening, soft in cold weather and super slippery.
After one season the Lithium grease has turned into dried out bubble gum and lost all lubricating properties.

Glen

clevtrev

VOC Member
Speaking of grease gone hard in speedo gearboxes, what is the best type of grease for the speedo gears? I have used general purpose grease, which eventually does lose it's oils and go hard, plus has great resistance in cold weather. Feeling very clever, I switched to white Lithium grease this year. The Lithium grease is hyped as non hardening, soft in cold weather and super slippery.
After one season the Lithium grease has turned into dried out bubble gum and lost all lubricating properties.

Glen
I think I`ve mentioned ZX1 grease before.

deejay499

VOC Member
Welcome to the club. We attend the N.Kent and S.London sections on alternate Tuesdays. There are some distance riders and lots of knowledge and expertise. Come down, you might even find an original gear lever for your bike. Advice and chat all free. See Email addresses at the start of the section reviews for more info. Cheers, Dave