vibration

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
1/8" out is far too much runout to allow.

With patience 10 thou runout or +- .005" from the zero setting on the dial indicator in both directions can be achieved. You will likely want to ignore the short sharp bump or dip right at the weld, often this is considerably more than 10 thou and does not represent the form the tire will take.

Glen

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Less than 10 thou is very achieveable. Steel rims are rolled, so are alloys, at least the Dunlop, San Remo, Morad and others I have laced were. I can't imagine the issues or costs involved in mkaching a set of rims from solid.

By the way Derek, no matter what the books say, I have laced and trued probably more than 20 wheels (both steel and alloy) in the last 10 years, and never had a problem getting one to run under .015 TIR. Except of course where the weld is, but an inch either side of the weld can be pulled into line.

If it rotates, make it round and balance it!

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
For what its worth, all my built-up wheels run to within 10 thou too. Its time-consuming but not difficult.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It also pays to check how true your wheels are every time you change a tyre. With the state of the roads in the UK wheels can be knocked out of true if you hit a pot hole.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The roads are even worse here in the colonies!!... Seems the shortage of funds available to fix the roads can be traced to the lack of tea taxes collected in an area to the south of me...

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Virbration

I have found that a major cause of vibration is the fact that Vincent main-bearing case bores have long ago given up the ghost
for an accurate bearing fit.... and some of the recommended "fixes" simply make matters worse. A bearing is no better that it's
housing.... and an out of round, oversize, soft alloy housing simply means you have fitted a brand new bearing to horrible conditions
which are a joke if you read the bearing manufactures specifications on required fitting. LocTite is simply no answer at all and can
indeed make matters worse.
All the Vincents I built had the cases line bored for aluminum bronze bearing sleeves which held the mains to the bearing manufactures
specs.... like .0002" out of round and zero taper. With a .0025 interference fit I could use .0006" radial clearance.... and thus no
vibration what-so-ever.

Attachments

• Main Bearing Accuracy.jpg
    Main Bearing Accuracy.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 58

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I did not mean to imply above ALL main bearing bores were bad...some were just fine usually having lost maybe a thousands of its original
interference fit. If the dial bore gauge told me the bore was round and true I'd fit a bearing with less radial clearance using mechanical retainers.