Vernier Cam

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Followers

Rip,

I believe that the only way a symetric cam lobe will work in a Vincent is with a roller follower. This is because the standard follower makes contact with the cam over such a wide area that the geometry going up is different than the geometry going down, which I know that you know. The photo of the follower on the left shows the hybrid roller follwer, which allows the use of such lobes. There is a huge amount of research on roller lobes and there is very little on asymmetric lobes.

IrvingFollowers.jpg

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have real reservations about the use of roller followers. Several years ago I bothered to calcuate where the cam face to follower face is all round a lift curve. It is a nightmare of changing position and direction and I doubt the capability of a roller to change direction rapidly enough. Curved based solid followers are a different matter. And yes, I do know that the Irvin Vincents use rollers and those chaps really seem to know what they are doing.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Harleys have used roller followers since the year dot, since 1938 they incorporated hydrualics into them as well ,they really are fit + forget. Most american cars are similarly equipped. Even Rolls-Royce use them in their v 8 engined cars. They do not wear and are kind to the camshaft lobes too. Roller tipped rockers are a good one also, but it is near-on impossible on a vin. I will now sit back and wait to hear from some smart alec who tells me "john doe did it years ago".

davidd

VOC Member
Just so there is no confusion, the cams and roller followers featured in this thread have been used for a decade and have won many races and set landspeed records. They are stock parts used in Irving Vincent engines.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Just to complete the thread, below is a photo of the Terry Prince MK4 cam, which is the race cam. The followers are Terry's also, but they are only used with the MK5 cam which has lobes designed for the followers. The MK4 race cam uses standard followers.

TerryMK4_1.jpg

David