E: Engine Valve guide

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Erik, did you check for the oil drain channels so they are deep enough to lead all oil towards the pushrod shrouds ? I did not add seals but had chamfers on the valve guide for "scrapers" so hope not to have your troubles. The lock ring sits on the guide step so not much oil should pass there, no matter if the thread is not sealed. What sort of seal did you fit - an o-ring ? Viton is recommended there due to heat up there, NBR will get hard soon. One way breathing valve on your engine ??

Vic

erik

VOC Member
Now I made a drainage for the oil to escape from the valve guide area. The guide you have Vic protrudes from the bottom but what I use is flat.It is a design with a little bit ribbed sealing ring which sits in the nut which is screwed over the guide.As far as I know one of the two existing valve guides. Regards Erik

erik

VOC Member
@ Vincent ! Kolben ist neu und keine Risse zu sehen .Ventilschaft ist total verölt . (Piston is new,no cracks visible, valve shaft is coplete oily.) Viel Spass in Kolunbien !

@Vincent! Piston is new and no cracks visible. Valve stem is completely oiled. (Piston is new, no cracks visible, valve shaft is coplete oily.) Have fun in Colombia!

Last edited by a moderator:

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
possibly the x-ring (or quadring seal) is at fault. if fitted correctly there should be no oil coming from any way past the x-ring.
otherwise, like I have with my Rapide, there is oil passing along between the head and the guide. this could be anything form a crack (not much flesh around the guide) to the guide not fully seated in the head.
perhaps a groove drawn when removing the guide due built-up carbon?

my Rapide had the new x-ring seals on the inlet and the original chamfer/sraper on the exhaust, and even then there was 1 guide that was countersunk to avoid collision with the rocker (using Mk1 cams). when measuring the depth of the exhaust guides, that one guide was seated higher by approx 2mm than the other one, hence the need to countersink that guide.
I don't judge the person/mechanic before me who performed it, I never met him/her and probably never will (quite possibly 6ft under, even that's not sure!). its wrong, point.

got me new inlet and exhaust guides with seals and double the nr of seals as a precaution, and the proper tools to remove the locking ring.

what you could does as a means of elimination, is remove the locking ring, check the seal while your at it, apply some silicone gasket around the base of the guide and refit the locking ring. either the stem is now dry and the seal was the culprit, and/or the guide remains dry which points out to a leak past the guide and head.
oversize guides available from M&S.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Erik, did you check for the oil drain channels so they are deep enough to lead all oil towards the pushrod shrouds ? I did not add seals but had chamfers on the valve guide for "scrapers" so hope not to have your troubles. The lock ring sits on the guide step so not much oil should pass there, no matter if the thread is not sealed. What sort of seal did you fit - an o-ring ? Viton is recommended there due to heat up there, NBR will get hard soon. One way breathing valve on your engine ??

Vic
Or just park on the right hand stand.
Erik is in the know!!!

erik

VOC Member
Lieber Vincent ! I know what you mean ,but this is completely different. the cylinder head was overhauled by Godet but they forgot to mount the sealing ring in the inlet guide and I used a second hand one which looked okey.Now I blocktited the the guide screw in the head so that no oil can creep under the nut with o-ring. Tonight I will check the return oil line because if there is a blockage more oil will flow into the rocker tunnels! Erik