Urgent - Comet Lucas Dynamo doesn't appear to be charging

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Will try the drag and drop to send my instructions on how to make a Miller Dynamo look like a Lucas one in order to use an electronic regulator from Dynamo Regulator Ltd.
E]

I am trying to drag and drop my jpeg file here and nothing happens at all although it asks me to drag my file onto the message. Also tried "upload a file" and a blue mark moves across the screen showing the percentage of load, but when it gets to 100% it says there is an error - so still no joy.

Matty

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi,
If anybody wants to know how to convert a Miller dynamo to look electrically like a Lucas one using a DYNAMO REGULATOR regulator I have produced a set of instructions which I have attempted to attach as a JPEG picture file, ....
The Dynamo Regulator site also has good instructions on how to do this and is another slant on the same theme.

I have uploaded the picture file for Matty.

Regulator for Miller 2.jpg

highbury731

VOC Member
Will try the drag and drop to send my instructions on how to make a Miller Dynamo look like a Lucas one in order to use an electronic regulator from Dynamo Regulator Ltd.
E]
Matty

What output can you expect from a Miller converted to 12V?

How does a Dynamo Regulator compare with Podtronics' regulator?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I have uploaded the picture file for Matty.
I tried several ways to print the diagram so I could put it in my shop manual but apparently you've protected it in a way that doesn't permit printing. If you did this intentionally, fine, I'll certainly respect that decision, but if it's by accident could you unprotect it?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Doc ,take a screen shot of it and then you can print that I just did that .See you in Aug
Peter
Yes, easy enough to do, but I didn't want to do it if there really was a reason it was locked.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel Ireland a few weeks ago (yes, that's right, the entire country has been cancelled...). Sometimes life gets in the way of life. However, this my fees are already pre-paid for '15 so I'm way ahead of everyone else.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi All

The diagram was produced by a lot of cut and stick using Paint Shop Pro to edit pictures etc. from several sources and was then saved as a Jpg file so the "chrispness" is not too good in places. I have not placed any restrictions on its use, though Big Ed may have done so when he uploaded it for me.
If you want a copy just do "Print Screen" to save the picture.

I just produced it for VMCC members who were changing to electronic regulators for their Miller electrics and I hope the information is correct.
I have done the change 3 or 4 times very successfully for some friends, but could have made some errors in the paperwork !!
If anyone finds some mistakes or has some suggestions for improving the information please let me know.

As for the other queries, they can usually be answered by going to the Dynamo Regulators excellent site and looking in their Q&A section.

Generally though a 6v dynamo run at 12Volts will give out around 50% more power ie. a 5oWatt should give 75Watts BUT it needs around 30% more engine revs to produce a satisfactory 12Volt output. So the conversion is OK for high speed runs with headlights on but not so good around town. I also understand that to get 12Volts from a 6Volt dynamo, the field current increases and theoretically this can result in overheating and damage but I have no experience of this in practice.
Rewinding the armature and field to 12Volt spec will make the system better at lower engine revs, but then there will NOT be an increase in output power due to "I squared R losses" in the armature caused by the greater number of turns of thinner wire needed.
With Velocettes which have a belt dynamo drive, many users change the gearing of the pulleys to rev the dynamo more to improve 12Volt working and this is fine if the bike is not revved too much for long periods.
You can't win 'em all !!

I have never used a Podtronics Regulator so can not make any comparisons but have found the Dynamo regulators item to be superior to any of the other makes I have tried, mainly on the grounds that it works with a "flat" battery and charges well at low engine revs.

My Comet Miller system was changed to electronic regulator many years ago using another make of regulator which has been reliable, but will not charge with the headlight on below around 45mph even with an LED rear lamp and I am seriously thinking of sporting £46 or so to upgrade to a Dynamoregulators Unit to cater for the odd times I need to drive gently home at night.

I must point out again that I have no commercial connection with dynamoregulators, I just judged them by their highly professional site and the performance of their product, which does "exactly what it says on the tin". I have not sent the diagram to them for approval because it would be a case of "teaching Granny to suck eggs" and I'm sure they would not like to put their name to my efforts, when they have already published a similar paper on their site.

Matty

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi All
I have not placed any restrictions on its use, though Big Ed may have done so when he uploaded it for me.
If you want a copy just do "Print Screen" to save the picture.
Matty
I didn't put any restrictions on the file as I just opened it from an email and dragged and dropped it onto the Forum message. There is no telling what the computer may have done "between spoon and mouth". :eek:
I have just tried right-clicking on the image in the post and choosing "Save Image As" in Firefox browser. I then saved it to "My Pictures" and was able to open it in an image viewing programme. If there are restrictions on the file it could be that I can open because I posted it but I can't say if that is the case or not.

nkt267

VOC Member
I just tried
Right clicked and 'saved as'.Saved in my docs and it opened straight up when I clicked on it.I'm running XP and office 2007 and no fancy browser..John

highbury731

VOC Member
My computer runs Open Office. I right-clicked on the Miller wiring drawing, used the 'save as', and saved it. It came out as a very small image. Convert the file to 'Landscape' format, click on the image to allow image-size change, and then draw it out to the full page size. You can then actually see the document. Save it again in the new format.

I have been wondering what dynamo I will use - my bike came with a 3" Miller in a 3 1/2" eccentric. I believe the Series D bikes used the Lucas E3L with non-taper drive, as used on the Norton Dominator which I have an example of somewhere. Most of the drive bits missing, so no stake in either. How do they compare?