ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) Expansion in London

G

Graham Smith

I lifted this off another site - the war on the motorist continues apace…

London’s ULEZ zone will expand to M25 from August 2023

GettyImages-1236125521-scaled.jpg
Tens of thousands of drivers of modern and modern-classic cars face increased costs to drive in London, as Sadiq Khan, mayor of the capital, has announced he will expand the city’s Ultra Low Emissions Zone out across the suburbs, in some cases as far as the M25.

From August, 2023, owners of petrol cars which fail to meet Euro 4 emissions regulations, diesels which don’t match Euro 6 and two-wheelers that can’t pass Euro 3 tests will face a daily charge of £12.50 for driving anywhere within London.

City Hall claims that it will lead to a reduction of up to 40,000 of the worst polluting vehicles from the road, but, as has been reported previously, it will be older car owners and those who simply can’t afford to trade up to a modern vehicle that will be hit hardest – at a time when the cost of living is higher than ever. Anyone living within the boundary will only be exampt from the charge if their vehicle meets emissions regulations.

When ULEZ, which currently covers the area inside the North and South Circular roads, was announced Transport for London provided a £2,000 scrappage scheme incentive for lower income drivers to get rid of their old cars. The new zone will be backed by a £110 million scrappage fund to help drivers living within the zone to switch to lower emission vehicles, with the detail still to be announced. Those travelling from outside the zone have been promised the option of a travelcard worth more than swapping a polluting vehicle for a cleaner one under the scrappage scheme.

sam-van-bussel-IbrS6ij_WwU-unsplash-2048x1365.jpg

Those travelling from outside the ULEZ zone will be offered a bus pass as part of the new scrappage scheme.

According to The Times, the mayor said the extended zone is a “stepping stone” to cleaning up the city’s air pollution. He said the “ultimate destination” was a smart road user charging scheme, and said the best international example was Singapore, where drivers are charged based on the distance travelled.

To beat the new charge some of London’s modern classic drivers are already switching to older vehicles. Cars and bikes aged 40 or older can be granted “historic” status, making them exempt from the charge.

With cars from the 1980s and 1990s falling foul of the rules another option for some may be to pick up a newer cult car, although given the rapid expansion of the ULEZ area and Khan’s determination to tackle air quality in London we can imagine the rules could soon be tightened further.

“The triple challenges of tackling toxic air pollution, the climate emergency and congestion mean we need to further reduce emissions from vehicles in London. We simply don’t have time to waste,” said the Mayor.

It’s also worth noting that where London leads other cities follow. Glasgow, Bath, Birmingham already have Clean Air Zones, with Aberdeen, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield all stating plans to introduce them in 2022. In time all of the UK’s urban drivers will surely be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You can add Bradford to your list of iniquitous thieves, as I discovered to my cost a couple of weeks ago, but it could have been far worse had I not been alerted to the fact, I was tracking my way up to Perthshire with an overnight stop on route at my cousins house in Yorkshire, over breakfast the next morning my cousin casually enquired what route I had taken to his home, I answered that I had slavishly followed my SatNav, as I seem to do more and more these days, and commented that the SatNav had taken me through the salubrious outskirts of Bradford, my cousin then enquired if I had gone into the congestion zone, and then commented that it is hard to avoid doing so, they avoid Bradford like the plague.

Anyway, typical of all these congestion/ULEZ schemes, although the technology clearly exists, there is zero option to check whether or not you have entered the zone, so you have little choice other than to pay the charge, or risk a draconian non payment fine at a later date, when a nice little surprise arrives in the post, why the hell you cannot simply put your reg number into the relevant site and check whether you actually owe the charge is hard to fathom, or is it?

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Read an article recently about getting a lev test done on your bike which gives you a cert to avoid paying the charge.
Seems a bit like a smog test.
Al

G

Graham Smith

Read an article recently about getting a lev test done on your bike which gives you a cert to avoid paying the charge.
Seems a bit like a smog test.
Al
Yes, I've heard about this too. I think there's a place in North London that will do the tests for a couple of hundred quid.

I'm sure we'll know more as the deadline approaches - assuming the outer London boroughs don't manage to defeat Khan through the courts.

As far as I'm aware the councils in Bromley (where I live) and Bexley (where @ray vinmad and @delboy live) are already taking action against the Mayor. I pray they're successful as I don't know anyone in my group of friends or neighbours who support this madness.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
All the while, China is starting up a new coal fired plant every day. I don’t think even the most sincere mayor can counteract that.

Also, electric cars get their power during the long winter nights from coal fired plants and their batteries’ ingredients are from immense open pit mines, worked by labor under unsavory conditions.

vibrac

VOC Member
1. Vincents are exempt
2. One day I will think of a reason to go into a city last time must have been 5 years ago

ossie

VOC Member
That’s the joke of it Tim

I don’t live in a city. I live in a village, but we’ve somehow been caught up in this madness just because I’ve got the wrong postcode.
we live just outside A406 Hoping ESSEX will kick up a stink , perhaps all the cars coming down M11 could stop at the end park up on it and get the Central line into London.