Tyres

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I did read somewhere that the sidewall 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE' was just for the land of the free and the lawyers rich picking ground i.e: the USA

According to the VOSA testers manual..... tyres designated by their manufacture as unsuitable for road use e.g. racing tyres or those marked ‘NHS’ or ‘NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE’ on the sidewall should be failed as unsuitable.

I know that you don't have to have an MOT any more but you still need to comply with the regs. The last VOSA seminar that I went to said that they are planning on targeting vintage vehicle meets for spot checks to see that standards are not going down as a result of the MOT exemption.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
tut tut fancy doing 4 laps of the iom on 'unsafe' tyres

luckily mine do not carry such injunctions

Rob H

VOC Member
According to the VOSA testers manual..... tyres designated by their manufacture as unsuitable for road use e.g. racing tyres or those marked ‘NHS’ or ‘NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE’ on the sidewall should be failed as unsuitable.

I know that you don't have to have an MOT any more but you still need to comply with the regs. The last VOSA seminar that I went to said that they are planning on targeting vintage vehicle meets for spot checks to see that standards are not going down as a result of the MOT exemption.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

I guess that if you have an accident your insurance may refuse to pay if it is noticed

vibrac

VOC Member
Actually I just checked there is a 'panel' in the GP but nothing in it
it seems that 'NFHU' only goes on sometimes (USA?)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tempus Fugit, I cannot believe that I started this post in 2013, in the intervening period has anyone tried them, is it considered safe or beneficial to use a radial tyre on a Vincent?