Twin Valve Timing

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, Bruce is correct. I have the following Andrews sheet from 1992, which I got from Carleton. If you look at the specs they are the same.

David

Attachments

• AndrewsCams.pdf
    189.1 KB · Views: 47

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Well, drat. Although I measured lift on the valve stem it woudl seem that regardless of which cams I have, they should basically have equal lift on both inlet and exhaust.
More digging required, it seems.
Thanks, guys.
Not so. Usually the inlet cam has more lift, as gas volume is accelerated by atmospheric pressure only, while exhaust gas is accelerated by explosion pressure after firing which needs smaller opening to pass the same volume, reducing stress and wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Not so. Usually the inlet cam has more lift, as gas volume is accelerated by athmosperic pressure only, while exhaust gas is accelerated by explosion pressure after firing which needs smaller opening to pass the same volume, reducing stress and wear.
At that point you need to also consider the relative diameter differences in the valves, lift is not the only factor in the scenario

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, so I can relax about smaller lift for the exhaust compared to the inlet. Still, I will need to dig and find out why one exhaust valve has more lift than the other.
Suspecting the rockers at the moment, but we'll see.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
When I set my cam timing with Terry Prince 104 cams I did it without even fitting the heads. I put two dial indicators on the engine and they rested on very short push rods that I set into the followers. I think this method takes the measurement very directly and is accurate. Having all the other parts fitted can't possibly help to make it any more accurate. (even though most other people do it that way) I set the timing so that the inlet and outlet cams had equal lift with the engine about 4 degrees before TDC. I think that the figures from Terry suggested equal lift at TDC but I thought a little before was probably wouldn't hurt. The main difficulty was setting the front cylinder as once you set the rear cylinder (which is easy to do because there are 5 keyways) the only way to re set the front to match is by taking the gear off the front cam and re positioning it to get the right result. Once you find out how it is set though it is really easy to find out how many degrees you need to move it to make it right so you should only have to re move your cam gear once. If you have a fitting jig then that setting can quite easily be accomplished.

With the higher lift you have to check the clearances in a lot of places. I found that I had to grind some metal of parts of the valve lifters to prevent interference. I also had to run compression plates under my cylinders because the valves were going to hit the pistons otherwise. John McDougal suggested to me that this was the best way to solve that problem, and since my pistons were 8:1 anyway it seemed like a good idea. It worked well. My bike does 100 MPH in third gear, I haven't found out yet how fast it will go in fourth.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I set my cam timing with Terry Prince 104 cams I did it without even fitting the heads. I put two dial indicators on the engine and they rested on very short push rods that I set into the followers. I think this method takes the measurement very directly and is accurate. Having all the other parts fitted can't possibly help to make it any more accurate. (even though most other people do it that way) I set the timing so that the inlet and outlet cams had equal lift with the engine about 4 degrees before TDC. I think that the figures from Terry suggested equal lift at TDC but I thought a little before was probably wouldn't hurt. The main difficulty was setting the front cylinder as once you set the rear cylinder (which is easy to do because there are 5 keyways) the only way to re set the front to match is by taking the gear off the front cam and re positioning it to get the right result. Once you find out how it is set though it is really easy to find out how many degrees you need to move it to make it right so you should only have to re move your cam gear once. If you have a fitting jig then that setting can quite easily be accomplished.

With the higher lift you have to check the clearances in a lot of places. I found that I had to grind some metal of parts of the valve lifters to prevent interference. I also had to run compression plates under my cylinders because the valves were going to hit the pistons otherwise. John McDougal suggested to me that this was the best way to solve that problem, and since my pistons were 8:1 anyway it seemed like a good idea. It worked well. My bike does 100 MPH in third gear, I haven't found out yet how fast it will go in fourth.
You have a bit to go yet Nigel !!, I was timed at 124 mph in third on my road Special !, It was a bit noisey afterwards !!. Cheers Bill.