Touring Guards

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The only factory photo I have of a Meteor.

David

Meteor1.jpg

That`s the first Meteor that I have seen without having a HRD logo.

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks David, Albervin, Tom G and Trev. The plot thickens !

David, was that pic captioned Meteor by the factory? I thought the Meteor was made in very small quantities in 1948 only, and all 48 machines were badged HRD. This one's even got Vincent on the timing chest. It also appears to have an 8 inch headlamp, which is interesting, and the right hand footrest hanger is the non folding type; same as on mine. Guards on this one seem to be the standard Vincent / HRD ware, and the same goes with stays. I see that the rear stop light does not seem to be the normal HRD type with the STOP, but appears to be larger. And this one has a folding kick starter which mine hasn't.

I have actually done remarkably little to my Meteor since I bought it some 25 years ago, apart from changing to 12 volt lighting with a halogen bulb up front, and battery ignition which has made it an easy first kick starter. I recently rebuilt the top end with new valves, guides, etc and rebored it with an Omega 8 to 1 compression piston. I now need to sort out the thrust bearing on the gearbox mainshaft, which has about a 1/4 inch of play, and it should be ready for a couple of good rallies in Italy again in 2011.

nkt267

VOC Member
That`s the first Meteor that I have seen without having a HRD logo
My brothers Meteor has Vincent on the crankcase but the timing case has no name(numbers match the crankcase).There seems to be a lot of variation in spec during the 'change over' period..John

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That looks a lot like the picture in Vincent HRD Gallery and may not be a photo, so may be unreliable for mudguard stay reference.

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That would be very useful for although I am not particularly about originality so long as the bike is rideable, I would be interesting to know exactly what is right and what is wrong.

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to all.1949 HRD 4.jpg1949 HRD 1.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
That picture from David is certainly a factory/artist mock up. Joe, do the RFM, UFM and engine numbers tie up? Most Meteor I have seen have a long RFM with straight seat stays. Not too much to worry about really as long as it goes......

davidd

VOC Member
It looks to me that the factory photo has been retouched. The "Vincent" on the timing chest looks pasted in, but the mudguards and stays, except for the lower stay should be Rapide. There are some pictures in the Original Vincent of a Meteor, but the bike has been restored so I opted for the factory photo.

The mating number for many early singles are stamped upside down near the engine number on the drive side. I am not certain where it appears on the timing side. The photos in the Original Vincent shows a mating number of this ilk.

I have not seen any work orders for Meteors, but they might be helpful with some of these details.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Tom you are correct but to keep staff busy what ever was in stock at the time was used mudguards headlights ect.most of these where offered to UK dealers as floor stock speedo and exhaust were the last to be fitted after road test the meteor and comet that was seen at Earls Court late 1948 to make the RFM to fit the brake cable abutment were cut of and a series A foot brake was mocked up to fit I dont remember if they were sold like that' if there is one out there I would like to know most of the UK dealers bikes were sent by rail we use to push them to Stevenage station which in those day was four hundred yards from the factory.

Shanghai

VOC Member
Joe, do your self a huge favor and buy a copy of "Original Vincent Motorcycle" by J.P. Bickerstaff.
Pages 67-75 give detail (including photo's) of the series B Meteor.
The description also gives details of mudguard and stays.
Tony