Touring guard fitment

GBewley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm mocking up the rfm and mudguard assembly for my touring Rap and wonder if there was ever a supplement to the parts list that mentioned spacers, etc required between the main section of the guard and the RFM? Barring that, I would appreciate any input from those with experience fitting these guards. Mine are original steel and I wish to fit them well before paint. Thanks,

Glenn

would appreciate input

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Glenn,
Ask Russell Kemp and Debbie Smith to take some pic's of Ray's Comet, and either get them to send you the info directly, or to me, and I will bring it with me.
Ray's Comet is as it left the factory.

Neil

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I'm mocking up the rfm and mudguard assembly for my touring Rap and wonder if there was ever a supplement to the parts list that mentioned spacers, etc required between the main section of the guard and the RFM? Barring that, I would appreciate any input from those with experience fitting these guards. Mine are original steel and I wish to fit them well before paint. Thanks,

Glenn

would appreciate input

Glenn,

My rear touring guard fits without any spacers but it does need the internal strengthening strip as on the alloy guards. The original steel mudguard had some strategic 'dents' to accomodate the frame tubes of the RFM. Unfortunately on second hand guards these 'dents' have sometimes been beaten out in the erroneous belief that they are the result of accidental damage. An important point often overlooked when fitting the front steel mudguard is that of the two brackets FF68, that join the mudguard to the bridge plate FF32, the rearmost one was made of steel, presumeably because of the greater weight of the touring guard. Unfortunately it does not appear to have had a separate part number.

Hugo

GBewley

VOC Member
Thanks Hugo. I've been fitting the one set to it's attendant RFM and am on to the next. Have to agree the dents are necessary at the rails but also find that the brake cable lugs on the RFM downtubes are additionally troublesome. Can be corrected with a spacer or additional bashing.

Best,

Glenn

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Glenn,

I don't have any difficulty in the brake cable lug area on my Rapide but it is a 'C'. The Series B short frame had a different arrangement. A good number of 'B's were fitted with touring guards. I wonder if they were altered at all to fit the 'C'? It would be difficult to tell without knowing the history of the guards.

Hugo