Torque recommendations

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Rolls Royce not only refuse to issue torque + horsepower figures "the output will be found to be sufficient" they also do not give tightening torques for fasteners. The official line is- an experienced engineer will be able to tell by feel + experience what is required in assembly!

vibrac

VOC Member
Once again its all about "progress" Vincents were made correctly with plenty of meat and without a great deal of thought about cost which is why they are still around 70 years later and suffer fools gladly.
A modern bike is pared to the bone a component will 'just' do its job, is difficult to repair and you need a TW on some of the egg shell castings and parts.also things need to be specified as always nowadays there is always a laywer hovering in the wings looking for excuses to take advantage of.

Albervin

VOC Member
I had a spark plug blow out of my Italian sports car back in the 70s. I took it back to the "mechanic" and questioned him about it. He said it was an alloy head and he was scared to tighten the plug too much. He obviously didn't have a feel for the job so was never seen by me again. How many of you out there torque your spark plugs? When fitting my UFM I was told to tighten the nuts then slack them off one flat, it works. Tighten too much and you get vibration, too little and you get vibration. What torque is it? No idea.

Howard

VOC Member
I had a spark plug blow out of my Italian sports car back in the 70s. I took it back to the "mechanic" and questioned him about it. He said it was an alloy head and he was scared to tighten the plug too much. He obviously didn't have a feel for the job so was never seen by me again. How many of you out there torque your spark plugs? When fitting my UFM I was told to tighten the nuts then slack them off one flat, it works. Tighten too much and you get vibration, too little and you get vibration. What torque is it? No idea.

Spark plug's an interesting example. I've recently seen claims that plugs (specifically the sealing washer) need to be torqued acurately, but I bet none of us do. Trev will love me for this - I misplaced my plug spanner several years ago, I use a ring spanner now (while I'm trying to remember where I put it) - it's about 3 times as long as a plug spanner so I don't think my plugs will ever blow out! :)

H