Torque recommendations

Panama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I may have posted this before, but it wont cause great harm to repeat it.

With all of the wisdom and experience regarding Vincent machines, why hasn't some one come up with a comprehensive table of torque values for the various fasteners holding these machines together?

I am sure that there are a number of owners who have backgrounds in engineering and metallurgy. Perhaps they could develop such a list.

I recall my days as an apprentice, when I asked my instructor how how tight should I wrench various nuts and bolts, and he told me "you always stop just before it breaks."

I think we can do better.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes it would be a good idea for sure, only some peoples enterpretation of torque values is governed by their own experience. Gee my Head to liner seems to be leaking.....oh well, lets pull it down to 40, 50 plus foot pounds, and that should fix it....Yeah, and wreck something else......Like you, the head mechanic when i was an apprentice would always say...just do it up till it breaks....then back it off half a turn..!!! He was in fact an excellent mechanic.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It may have been answered here already, but did the Works fitters have torque wrenches? Or Cliff Brown for assembling Nero?

Howard

VOC Member
In my apprentice days in structural steel designs, we used nothing smaller than 5/8" bolts - the logic was, that that was the smallest bolt that a normal man with a standard spanner couldn't shear off.

I only ever torque head bolts, where the emphasis is on getting them all the same. I'd be interested to know which bolts were actually tightened with a torque wrench at the factory.

H

Howard

VOC Member
It may have been answered here already, but did the Works fitters have torque wrenches? Or Cliff Brown for assembling Nero?

Bruce were you looking over my shoulder? Your post appeared while I was typing.

H

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
You don`t need torque values if you use the length of spanner supplied with your bike. The length dictates the force you can apply.

Howard

VOC Member
You don`t need torque values if you use the length of spanner supplied with your bike. The length dictates the force you can apply.

Ahh yes Trev, but as I get older my nuts seem to get slacker - I think my spanners must be shrinking - I'll ask the wife if she's noticed. :)

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Yes it would be a good idea for sure, only some peoples enterpretation of torque values is governed by their own experience. Gee my Head to liner seems to be leaking.....oh well, lets pull it down to 40, 50 plus foot pounds, and that should fix it....Yeah, and wreck something else......Like you, the head mechanic when i was an apprentice would always say...just do it up till it breaks....then back it off half a turn..!!! He was in fact an excellent mechanic.
We had a saying in the Air Force..."If it doesn't fit, force it, if it breaks it was probably stuffed anyway"

Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
In Stevenage in 1950 the only Talk wench was the tea lady
get a grip Trev's right, use the proper spanner
only place I use a TW is on the head nuts and to be fair thats only because of its relative importance its large size and narrow band of correctness
and even then the threads and nuts should be a uniform condition between machines