To good to be true

notap

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I hope it all does work out for the buyer. However, I've seen scams (mainly selling pedigree dogs) where they criminals milk information from the buyer via a fake delivery company (i.e. name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, other details - and sometimes credit card details). Having done this numerous times from the one "bargain" item, they then create false ID's and credit cards etc. Essentially stealing the persons ID. I hope this isnt the case, and its sad that we all have to be this paranoid.
All the best

Rob

Howard

VOC Member
I hope it all does work out for the buyer. However, I've seen scams (mainly selling pedigree dogs) where they criminals milk information from the buyer via a fake delivery company (i.e. name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, other details - and sometimes credit card details). Having done this numerous times from the one "bargain" item, they then create false ID's and credit cards etc. Essentially stealing the persons ID. I hope this isnt the case, and its sad that we all have to be this paranoid.
All the best

Rob

I think paranoia and cinicism come with age, though we may be prefer to think of it as experience. :)

H

davidd

VOC Member
Final Update!

It was a scam. It was done using the documents from Elite Shipping. All the documents looked legit, but someone claiming to be from Elite called the buyer and said they needed a $4,900 deposit. The buyer said "no, it is C.O.D." and the alleged shipper hung up. So, the paranoia and cinicism are justified and the rule is do not send money!

The back story was that it was a distress sale by a Swiss gentleman that purchased the bike at the Las Vegas auction, but was unable to provide Swiss authorities with the correct documentation for importation.

David

David

Howard

VOC Member
We have a programme in the UK called the Real Hustle, showing scams. They always end with "If it looks too good to be true, it usually is".

H

A_HRD

VOC Member
David,

Is there any way of tracing the scammer through the phone-call, Elite or ebay? He needs knee-capping!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

davidd

VOC Member
Peter,

The buyer is a friend of Scott Dell's and I emailed him early on with information that Elite Shipping had been the target of scammers. I did not talk to him on the phone. I called Scott yesterday for the update.

Generally, the authorities have to be involved early on. This scam was carefully planned so I suspect they used a burner cell as it is a no cost way of creating a dead end. The buyer could have asked for the address to send the deposit, and it might have proved useful, but until the scammer hung up on him, the buyer was hoping it was not a scam.

I think these scams are so subtle in their approach that it is difficult to involve the authorities at almost any stage. They are using forged documents that are exact copies of the real thing. I think the best solution is that Ebay could have called the phone number in the ad and found out immediately that the number did not work and discontinued the ad. Ebay still has the problem that they do not know whom to ban as the contact information is phony.

From an objective point of view, this forum proved to be the most effective tool to prevent the fraud. The discussion set the stage for a careful engagement and a presumption of illegality. Thanks to all who participated.

David