Misc: Everything Else To float or not to float....

Generic Beardy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The homemade suspended seat setup on my comet has just broken. Probably not helped by a design flaw that allows the mudguard to hit the seat..... I am left pondering choices. If I repair the setup I've got then I shall need to modify and add height. Alternatively I have a rotten seat base with stays etc that I could rebuild with a new base, foam and cover. I have never ridden a stock set-up but I understand that the seat goes up and down (albeit with less motion than the wheel) hence quite a few people converting to a D style setup. Is it THAT different a riding experience? I prefer the look of the stock set-up but do use my bike so comfort is fairly important. Also, I see the spares shop are out of stock with the bits I would need to fashion a new seat. Has anyone got any views on the foam/cover kit sold by British Only in Austria?

timetraveller

VOC Member
For the rider on the front of the seat the up and down movement is not too terrible. For a pillion passenger it is not ideal. If you like the standard appearance then go for it but if you regularly carry a pillion passenger then I would stay with the fully sprung system. For a system about as good as possible then fully sprung with an AVO coil over damper to replace the two separate springs and the standard damper will make is as near as possible to a 'D' set up. I have no connection with AVO.

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
For the rider on the front of the seat the up and down movement is not too terrible. For a pillion passenger it is not ideal. If you like the standard appearance then go for it but if you regularly carry a pillion passenger then I would stay with the fully sprung system. For a system about as good as possible then fully sprung with an AVO coil over damper to replace the two separate springs and the standard damper will make is as near as possible to a 'D' set up. I have no connection with AVO.
I would rarely if ever have a pillion.... So I won't rule it out. I do prefer the look of the standard seat

vibrac

VOC Member
This is my seat support assembly with adjustable ends and a strengthening bar its been on a twin and a Comet
1687768843619.png

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
If you decide to make a new seat I have a used seat foam and the fiberglass hump that you can have for the cost of the postage.
I have just embarked on making a new seat..... I think the metal hump is salvageable but foam would be very handy indeed. I'm not sure what the postage from Canada to the UK would be but if it's viable I'd be most grateful!