There is a big difference betwixt a racer and a high speed road machine.

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Generally speaking racers are built to go as fast as they can go by packing as much mixture into the combustion chamber as possible thus creating power and speed for a short duration which can easily
exceed the engines ability to deal with the heat created. Thus melt downs and disaster.
On the other hand a high speed touring machine has to be designed to travel quickly and last and last with 100% reliability.... a MUCH more difficult undertaking. I built touring machines, nothing more.

Howard

VOC Member
There's a big difference between tourer and occasional club racer too. I travelled 2000++ miles in two weeks, 2 up with full camping gear without a problem. 2 weeks later I entered the VOC Cadwell HST and bits fell off everwhere - on the good side it got faster as the race went on, as it got lighter. :)

I've got real respect for the guys who used to ride their bikes to race meetings and take part.

H

Howard

VOC Member
I think it must have been in the years when we only had glorious summers. I rode mine to a Curborough sprint last year, and the Mallory 1000 bikes this year and got soaked both times.

H

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Ride 400 plus miles with outfit to be able to carry sufficient spares,tools & petrol to Cadwell from Cornwall, race then ride home again . All in a weekends fun, it's hard work having fun.
bananaman

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Ride 400 plus miles with outfit to be able to carry sufficient spares,tools & petrol to Cadwell from Cornwall, race then ride home again . All in a weekends fun, it's hard work having fun.
bananaman
Agreed Marcus. I entered my outfit at Cadwell a few times but only once did accept an offer to have it transported there and on that occasion I wrecked the Primary Drive. At other times I rode there, camped overnight and rode home after the meeting during which I had no mechanical failure-lesson learnt!