The Vincent: Never have so many leaked so much with so little (oil pressure)

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you have a relatively dry Vincent, do not adjust, fiddle, investigate or tamper with it in any way, it will not forgive you. My Rapide may be particularly bad because it spent about twenty years in Oz and has learned Oz ways. By that I mean it is a tough little bike but doesn't like to be screwed with and hates change.
I was pretty aggressive with it, removed it's engine, built an oddball frame around it and made it run around in that guise for a year. Now it is back in it's old clothes and getting even
It has mostly been a dry bike (for a Vincent) and once travelled 2500 miles round trip to California, only needing 8 ounces of oil added at home. Lately it has been somewhat more incontinent.

I recall that the previous owner also had good luck with oil leaks " I'll tell you what mate, you can paawk it on a white cawpet" where his words.
After putting the engine back in the Vincent parts and changing out various seals & gaskets for the V3 stop leak type, I though it would be drier than ever.
Not so easy Glen, with all of your changes you have made me go insane and now I'm taking you with me!
I found one of the leaks, it was a cracked valve cap that used to sit other way up (the V3 seals let you put the logo where you want it)When it sat the other way up it didn't leak , at least not much, but positioned the new proper way, it gushes. It only took me a day and a half to find the cracked cap, but it was abig Aha!?When I replaced the cap with a spare that had been given me, I knew the head would be dry as toast. Not so! It was another hour or so before I realized that the replacement cap had a tiny pinhole in it And I had even tested the replacement by blowing on it prior to installation. Appaently I did not apply enough PSI. Yes, I did sanitize the cap before putting it on the bike, don't want my oral bacteria getting into the valve train. So that had to be it then. Not so.

It appears there is oil coming up around one or more head studs, must have disturbed them when I retorqued the heads prior to installtion back in the Rapide. Looks like the engine will need to come out again. Oh well, what did PEI say, it's only three bolts and can be done in less than fifteen minutes by a professional? God forbid I get that good at it!

Glen

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
[QUOTE=Glenliman;

I recall the the previous owner also had good luck in this regard. " I'll tell you what mate, you can paawk it on a white cawpet" where his words.

You could park mine on a white carpet too ............. just don't expect it to be white when you get back!

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It took a bit more than 15 minutes to get things apart enough to pull the head studs, but not much. It occurs to me that resealing these head studs on the Vincent is far easier than changing the spark plugs on the Triumph Dayton 955. Some big brains designed things to be generally very easily accessed on the Vincent. And a sixty six year old machine (or human) can be forgiven a bit of dribbling.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Problem located, the oil was coming up between the inner and outer head studs. This is engine #38, so it has the two piece studs, which I might change out someday.
With all of the bolting and unbolting in transferring the engine back and forth, two of the inner studs turned and broke their seals. With a little luck, it should be an easy fix, Loctite 545 to the rescue.

Glen

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Let me remind readers. Vincents simply do NOT leak oil - NEVER! However, from time to time they have been known to ooze power!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I may have this tablet confiscated, that is the second time in the last three days that I have accidentally disliked a post. Did the same to one of Howard's usual friendly and informative posts.
Please ignore my dislike and all future dislikes!

Glen