Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' The Series 'D' Stand

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With the help of Rob Staley and AVO I sourced and fitted an AVO Series D coil over shock to my D Comet, when I did this I chose to have the shorter shock with the benefit of a lower ride height, perfect for me, but at the time Rob did warn me it would make the stand a little harder to pull onto the stand due to the stand legs engaging with the ground surface sooner, and changing the initial angle of operation.

I did not find that too much of a problem, better than purchasing a one armed Bullworker, but in June I managed to hurt my shoulder, and it is still not right yet, I remember when the standard Armstrong shock was fitted the pull lever was very easy to operate, and I would like that ease of use back.

I need to shorten the stand legs accordingly, currently when on the stand the rear tyre sits 70mm above the ground when on a flat surface, I am aiming to get that distance somewhere around 20mm above the ground, but I only want to take a hacksaw and arc welder to the stand legs the once, would anyone like to suggest an accurate dimension for me to achieve this.

Thanks in advance

Peter Holmes

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Try this, the height you want to lower it multiplied by the distance from the front wheel below the axle to the stand, divided by the distance from the front to back axles.

So if you wanted to lower the back wheel 50 mm and to make things easy it was 3 ft from the front wheel below the axle to the stand, and 5ft from the front to back axle, 50mm x 3 = 150mm, divided by 5 =30mm.

For those who don't like numbers, a piece of wood the same length as between the axles, with the stand position marked on it, lift the back of the piece of wood to the height you need to lower the bike, measure the gap under where the stand is marked.

Last edited:

Alyson

VOC Member
I still think the string thing is the way to go. Less complicated as we are not all Einsteins. Park your front wheel on a length of string, or, suitable material. Lift the rear up and on the stand, pull the string to under the rear wheel where you want the distance to be, and mark the stand where the string crosses. No room for error with this method.