The Moulton Comet

John Oakes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
HI Steve

It certainly is the bike you mention. I too have been sat just admiring the work that Chris put into this from reading the files and correspondence he has had with other enthusiasts. There are multiple copies of letters between Chris and Bob Stafford amongst others. The attention to detail is superb and i intend to ride and maintain the bike to the highest possible standards.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Fantastic news John! Last time i spoke to the mutual friend, Gordon, he told me there was a lot of interest from overseas but it sounds like it has stayed in this country! The only 'link' to this bike i have is i bought the ramp the bike was built on and a set of Whitworth spanners from Eve. The ramp is currently in my garage graced by my 49 s8.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
IMG_0222.jpg

Here is the said ramp!

Steve Morris

VOC Member
I affectionately call my S8 'The Joker' for obvious reasons. Interesting bike as it has never been restored, and still has the original 'painted' No plate. I bought it from an elderly (89) chap near Reading, he had a huge collection of bikes including lots of Nortons, a couple of Ariel Square 4's, and a rather dilapidated Harley Davidson WLA. I asked him when the 'Beam' last ran and he pondered for a moment, then exclaimed he thought it was 1972, or might have been 71... "My memory is not what it was" he said....

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting I believe the S8 is the only other mainline British bike that used the same shell headlight as the Series D I used one on a rebuild of a D with the holes altered with some crafty sheet steel blanks