The Mighty Garage Sunday Morning Ride

Mike T

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mike what happened with your stand?
Hi Mark, I bent the little piece that stops the stand moving further forward when the bike is on the main stand. It was interesting to see. There is a very strong little 'L' shaped steel piece that is welded to the main left-hand plate. I believe the root cause is that I may have filed too much off the top of the stand to begin with. So combining that with my heavy kick starts (another issue to be resolved) while straddling the bike, it actually buckled the "L" piece. It didn't break and the welds held, but it bent significantly. It was quite surprising. And of course, the more I kicked and applied more downward force on the stand to the little bracket, the more it bent and the stand leaned further forward. I had begun to notice that it was getting harder to lift the bike on and off the stand and I'm very grateful for the guys who pointed it out on one of my videos. In this recent video, I'm testing the stand again after my friend Geoff built up the top of the stand with quite a lot of weld and another angle piece for reinforcement. It still needed more work and I've done some more filing since, but not too much this time!

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mark, I bent the little piece that stops the stand moving further forward when the bike is on the main stand. It was interesting to see. There is a very strong little 'L' shaped steel piece that is welded to the main left-hand plate. I believe the root cause is that I may have filed too much off the top of the stand to begin with. So combining that with my heavy kick starts (another issue to be resolved) while straddling the bike, it actually buckled the "L" piece. It didn't break and the welds held, but it bent significantly. It was quite surprising. And of course, the more I kicked and applied more downward force on the stand to the little bracket, the more it bent and the stand leaned further forward. I had begun to notice that it was getting harder to lift the bike on and off the stand and I'm very grateful for the guys who pointed it out on one of my videos. In this recent video, I'm testing the stand again after my friend Geoff built up the top of the stand with quite a lot of weld and another angle piece for reinforcement. It still needed more work and I've done some more filing since, but not too much this time!
I thought it might be something like that. With my shadow I sometimes kick it on the stand and sometimes from the side so far no issues, having said that the shadow usually starts first or second kick. My friend Parker is quite small and light and the stand has definitely made his life easier when it comes to starting his rapide. I made a version of the DH stand for my norvin and broke that quite quickly! With my norvin it’s easier to start whilst straddling the bike with bike on the stand because of the relative positions of the kickstart and valve lifter so I had to go back and do a better job of making the stand. Regarding the breather, all three of my twins breathe from the highest valve adjuster caps, then thru a PCV valve and a pipe to the back wheel. Seems to work.

Mike T

VOC Member
I thought it might be something like that. With my shadow I sometimes kick it on the stand and sometimes from the side so far no issues, having said that the shadow usually starts first or second kick. My friend Parker is quite small and light and the stand has definitely made his life easier when it comes to starting his rapide. I made a version of the DH stand for my norvin and broke that quite quickly! With my norvin it’s easier to start whilst straddling the bike with bike on the stand because of the relative positions of the kickstart and valve lifter so I had to go back and do a better job of making the stand. Regarding the breather, all three of my twins breathe from the highest valve adjuster caps, then thru a PCV valve and a pipe to the back wheel. Seems to work.
Thank you very much for your advice, Mark. I appreciate it. I'm going to try a larger fitting and breather pipe first and then if that doesn't work, I'm going to roll my sleeves up and start getting more serious! I've been "faffing" around with it for too long Cheers!

kerry

VOC Member
If fitting an elephant breather do you also need a one way valve ? advice please anyone, thanks Kerry.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
You certainly do and make sure it goes as high as possible and made of non condensing material like plastic other wise the water vapour will condense and return to the engine.