Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I do have the 36mm on there -makes the 930 Premiere look tiny ...Q's? if air getting system by another route, say cable ferrule entry at the top of carb be an issue at start? Air seeping in anywhere at start be doing the same thing and potential putting the stoppers on? -Starts easy enough when it does with Easy-Start, but has started once on petrol.

Another note Finished tank/tail with 2k Matt lacquer this time...sets off brutish nature of the 833 methinks, makes good war paint -purposeful and different -still getting used to it, think I like it... nice to be surprised and challenged occasionally. Can harden off while I'm away for a few days. (Roman wall in back ground Btw...that's another story).

Still got the old tank in sleeper mode in deep 2k high gloss when have the compulsion to polish something ;)

Righty off West to camp in the back of the Passat....

Attachments

• 157D4323-6984-4450-9E6B-98A102EF51A4.jpeg
    157D4323-6984-4450-9E6B-98A102EF51A4.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 8E5AE525-B8C9-439B-9BA6-C93EF5317B68.jpeg
    8E5AE525-B8C9-439B-9BA6-C93EF5317B68.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Does look a big one !,
I bet that slide is too rich, You only have to look at it ?.

Didn't we have this with the 500 , Didn't you file a bit out ?.

Forget the air getting in stuff.

If you go on youtube, There is an 84 year old chap , Starting and riding off on a 500 Goldstar !!,
So hope for us all ?.

Have a good weekend and come back refreshed .
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
36 mm is not very big ,
I have had 36 Dellortos on my Special Twin for many years,
Even nicked the head and carb' off the twin and put it on my old Comet,
It went very well !!.
I will go and see how high the middle of the slide is, just for FUN.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you are sure it's a 36 mm ?, I thought you said you were going for 40 mm ?,
But If your carb' Is a 36 and is set at the tickover you showed in the running video,
I am looking for about 8 mm I used a drill , To slip in the middle of the front slide,
To show how much cutaway I have.
Love to know what you have now ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20220709_153223.jpg
    IMG_20220709_153223.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
When carrying out all this starting proceedure it is good to have a supply of new plugs, correctly gapped to suit that ignition and change it over if nothing is working and start again........It is always a good idea to pre- set the carb opening whilst the carby is in your hand first........the small crescent opening at the front (engine side) of the carb should be about 12 mm wide, or a vertical gap of a mm and not much more........If the opening is much more than this, then it will be hard to start.......Unless the comp ratio is rediculously high, then it should start easy enough no matter what capacity it is.........I run carbs of 40 mm diameter on my 665 racer, Gardener, keihin CR round slide........These all work fine........600 Comet in the shop now, 34 mm Dellorto........I set the k/s lever to the rear on compression, then squeezing the valve lifter, push the k/s lever all the way to the bottom........then fully up and good strong kick........away she goes. The possition of the crank needs to be further around than just past TDC or else you wont get up enough rotation to get it over the firing stroke..........All good fun.