Misc: Everything Else Standard Comet Special

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Time for a placeholder. I haven’t done much except look at the Comet since early 2020 due to health reasons. Fortunately I have been feeling better for the past few months so time to consider next steps. This is a bit daunting since once I get a handle on the wiring harness it’s take it apart for engine final prep and painting. That’s not a good time to be hesitant since basically it is a basket case again if I happen to take another break. I’m not sure anyone else would get what I was doing at that point besides me. I also wasn’t riding the Rapide, so it went down the road to a new owner after 40 years. It went from the prototypical basket case to a pretty nice bike it did take 35 years to get it done. . The bad thing was that it began to gain weight rapidly while I was losing it. I hear the new owner is quite happy with it.

2B11F763-A108-4633-BA66-906E96EEFD6F.jpegDF62ECD9-EEA2-4D75-83EF-4F9B03EF4343.jpeg

I also decided that I might as well get something that was enjoyable, easier to drive and capable of taking the dog along. This arrived a couple of weeks ago from California. Sort of a flashback to the one I owned in the 80's, but in red to signify a late mid life crisis car. (Sexy but sensible)

5AF54455-BFFD-410C-A91C-C06736F2740D.jpeg

So hopefully back to the Comet this year. I’ll have to get busy since I can’t see me putting another 35 years into it like I did the Rapide.

Ron

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Good to see you back and glad you are feeling better.
Your new toy seems much more practical than mine. I dragged home a 48 Corn Binder and the pucker factor increases significantly at anything over 80kmh, whereas you can cruise in luxury.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I feel the same as you Ron,
If I don't "Get My Finger out this year ", It won't get done !,
Mine is rolling like yours , But if it's in bits the wife will not get much for the cases and gearbox ?,
Maybe the "D" top frame is worth a bit ?.
Plus I just like looking at it .
Good Luck, Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
PS, that B looks pretty clean. You must have cured all of the oozing. Maybe I mentioned it, but… I did contact the original selling dealer to see if they still had any of the paperwork on the two bikes, but apparently everything was destroyed in a fire. I used one of the original cylinders on the Comet and the muff is like a sponge.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Good to see you back and glad you are feeling better.
Your new toy seems much more practical than mine. I dragged home a 48 Corn Binder and the pucker factor increases significantly at anything over 80kmh, whereas you can cruise in luxury.
I am adding an overdrive and air conditioning for even more decadence.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
PS, that B looks pretty clean. You must have cured all of the oozing. Maybe I mentioned it, but… I did contact the original selling dealer to see if they still had any of the paperwork on the two bikes, but apparently everything was destroyed in a fire. I used one of the original cylinders on the Comet and the muff is like a sponge.
I think I mentioned that I contacted Grant Budd, the original owner of Prairie Motorcycles, who sold our machines in the 40’s. He was in his nineties at the time. I had a long phone conversation with him and he later sent me a letter. I think I will put it as a scanned copy on the forum soon but send me your mailing address by PM and I will mail you the original now that I don’t own mine. You seem to keep and care for this stuff that may have little value to others.