E: Engine Squish

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The problem with the standard springs was that they started out ok then quickly lost tension. Springs that were installed at 90 or 100 lbs measured 60lbs or so a year later. This killed the upper end of the power band.
Apparently that was the case in the 80s at least, things may have changed.
Springs made out of better material fixed the problem and brought performance back.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
I can't find it in Witakerpedia, but there is a series by one of the French members on adding a Honda pump with more detail.
You must remember 90% of what is referred to here has already been said
Thats what the search (top right) option is for!
I put in Honda as the search term and Marcus as author and found this

greg brillus

VOC Member
A good friend of mine who is probably one of the best Honda four engine guy's in australia, builds very successful solo and sidecar engines found that running a tapered squish aiming towards the center of the combustion chamber, gave a big gain in the output of these engines........these cannot run twin plugs on account of the head design. Some of his bigger capacity engines put out over 140 HP.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
You must remember 90% of what is referred to here has already been said
Thats what the search (top right) option is for!
I put in Honda as the search term and Marcus as author and found this
You are right, normally I do use the Search function. Got the Hamon article: https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/resources/a-new-oil-system-for-vincents.1708/

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
All this HP talk for the track ?? A track is made up of 90% corners , a good rider on a slow bike will beat a wood duck on a fast bike
A young bloke here at Eastern Creek Sydney Pedals a stock 1990 CBR 250 Proddie 39 HP at 1min 46s , Queenslander Simon Dickson does 48s and his home track is Morgan Park QLD.same bike. Cameron Donald (2x IOM TT winner) on the New Godet Egli 2016 1,49.956 at the Creek ,this is a Far Faster bike in a straight line . You can have all the HP You want but unless the bike is Rideable it wont be worth a Cracker ,

davidd

VOC Member
Cameron Donald (2x IOM TT winner) on the New Godet Egli 2016 1,49.956 at the Creek ,this is a Far Faster bike in a straight line . You can have all the HP You want but unless the bike is Rideable it wont be worth a Cracker

Agreed. When Cam Donald rode the Godet Grey Flash it had my steering stem design, which I supplied to Patrick. I believe when Cam raced the bike on its first outing at Philips Island he mentioned that he could have used more HP, but the handling was superb. I believe all of the successful vincent racers use new steering stems. With 18" wheels and some tuning with the Reg Bolton mod, the bikes handle as well or better than any other vintage racer on the track. Greg Brillus's Twin racer also won Philips Island with Phil canning aboard.

David Tompkins won two National Championships this year with his Comet in the 500 and 650 classes. There were wins in the 650 class with the Comet beating some Triumphs and Nortons that had good power. Ben Kingham and Josh Brooks could not have done better this year with the Kingham twin racer. It was a good year for Vincent on the racetracks. Excellent handling had a lot to do with it.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
You can have all the HP You want but unless the bike is Rideable it wont be worth a Cracker ,
I agree with you 99%. Reminds me of a fellow who used to race flat track on a very well put together (but basically stock) Triumph. He was running against bikes that were mostly over carbureted and generally ill behaved. He drove them nuts.
The other 1% is here….

greg brillus

VOC Member
Luis Grey Flash has about 53 odd HP.........Jeff Caltworthy's ES 4 Norton has in excess of 60 plus........Sometimes you can simply win by attrition not just rider skills.......This has happened to me many times........I'm never going to be able to ride like Cam Donald or others like him........Just like he probably cant fix a Vincent like I can........but my good friends and i are still going to get more power out of these things regardless........And why not.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
" It's better to have raced and lost !, Than never raced at all ".
Been there many times :) ,
To have a winner you need 29 also rans !.

I remember a Classic Club Race at Donnington, "Vintage Invitation ", On my L/ning rep',
I thought, All I have to do is not fall off !,
But they took me off the start line, Because they thought I had an unfair advantage !,
Cathcart said I could enter the Final Race, With All the fastest riders of all the classes, THANKS !,
I did, But no chance, 3 cylinder 1000cc Triumphs, G50 s etc, With some Nutters on them !.