F: Frame Spring Strengths to be used with Fully Sprung Rear Seats and AVO Coil Over Dampers

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At about Xmas 2021/New Year 2022 Chris Launders discovered that his fully sprung seat was hitting the rear mudguard with sufficient force to dent the mudguard. We had a discussion and decided to try to compose a spreadsheet to help others to decide what rear springs strengths would be suitable for others using an AVO coil over rear damper and a fully sprung rear seat. The big advantage of the AVO is that both the damping and preload of the spring are readily adjustable and a range of spring strengths is available. The calculations only refer to twins. All the original measurements were made by Chris on his own bike with his wife providing the pillion loading.

There was one problem that occurred at once and that is that neither of us knew what the ‘G’ force would be when going over a bump. For those unsure about this the ‘G’ force is the increased amount that the rear suspension loading might experience when the bike goes over bumps. It is no good doing calculations for a static loading and then going over one of the ‘third world potholes’ that have become a regular feature of English roads. In the end we discovered that at least one motorcycle manufacturer uses G=3 for their calculations so that is what was used.

We did appeal through this forum for extra input from others, with either Comets or twins, to enable us to improve the accuracy and range of the final figures but the response was disappointing with only one other person giving us input. The table as presented should be regarded as a first attempt and it should be possible to improve it if we can get more input. The figures that are required are twin or single with a fully sprung rear seat, weight of rider, weight of pillion if applicable, length of spring between top and bottom retainers, all with the bike on its wheels or on the rear stand. The bike on a centre stand will not give useful data.

1654079695409.png

The first three columns are for the riders weight in Kg, Lbs or stones. Move down the column for increasing weight. The next column gives the force on the spring with the standard Vincent geometry and a fully sprung rear seat. The next column refer to the amount the various springs available from, AVO will be compressed with those forces. Springs with rates of 275 ( the standard one issued), 300, 350 and 400lbs/inch are considered. For each spring strength we have also calculated the force if a bump in the road imparts a 3G extra loading on the suspension.. Note that the AVO springs allow a compression of about three inches before they become coil bound. Therefore any value on the table above three should be regarded as a 'no go area'.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Time to go on a diet?
I have just fitted a coil over from AVO standard length, the spring is a 275.
I have the pre-load set for clearance of the RFM spring length just shy of 7 inch's but will be playing with this, any input gratefully received,not tried it out yet.
I weigh around 100 kilos naked which is how I love to ride!
No pillion work at all they all object to my Rossi dangle riding style that's another story.
Front end I have rebuilt the forks and have an AVO front damper and a selection of inner and outer springs to figure out.

I enjoy B road riding and would you believe it here in Ireland we do have some potholes to deal with.
Prior to riding any advice on a baseline set up would be great.
Good work on the calculations and table.
Al.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Most important thing is to make sure there is still clearance between the seat and mudguard when the spring is completely compressed.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Thank you Michael I will check this.
I have the original steel touring guards on the Rapide.
Al

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Speed twin, if you look in the spread sheet above at the row for 100 kg and then look along the line to see what happens to the 275 lbs/inch spring you will see that just the weight of you and the bike will compress the spring by 1.89 inches. However, if you go over a 3G bump that will increase to 5.67 inches which is more thatn the spring itself will take (i.e. 3"). So you have a choice, have it nice and comfortable but occasionally suffer the spring going coil bound, there is a bump stop in these dampers, or go for a stronger spring which might give you a harsher ride in most condtions. Once again only feedback from a variety of users can improve these deatials.

vibrac

VOC Member
What is the physical differences in the spring strengths ie wire diameter, turns etc?

timetraveller

VOC Member
I only have a 275 lbs/inch spring to measure so information of other strengths will have to come from others. The springs are eight inches long with equally spaced coils. They are closed ground end springs. The wire diameter is 0.4 inches including the powder coating. There are eight and a half gaps of about 0.49 inches. If they were all fully closed then the total movement would have been about 4.2 inches but the total movement allowed on the piston rod before the bump stop is hit is only about three inches. Mean diameter of the spring is about 2.1 inches
I think that stronger springs are made from thicker wire rather than having a coarser pitch so someone else needs to check that out.

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The 350lb spring seems to have 8 gaps and is the same 0.4" wire (it would be easier to check the spacing if it wasn't on the bike)

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny , I said when all this started , That the "D" was found to be too soft ,
And most of us went to the sidecar spring, About 400 lb ?.

Because I thought the new unit would be too soft.
Maybe up the damping,
Mine seems OK, but I don't take passengers, So only me.