Spring G54 in Rapide Gearbox

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We are rebuilding a Rapide gearbox and have found the bevel return spring broken.

The box was working fine before we had it to pieces for another reason - is this spring really necessary please, because it looks like we may have to split the crankcase to replace it !!

Alan Matthews

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
"The sole purpose of the small spiral spring at the other end of the bevel is to facilitate assembly by holding the bevel in first gear position when the gear cluster is introduced in the box. ....... Unfortunately the spring sometimes breaks......and is best left out after all!" KTB Chapter 12

Matty

VOC Member
Thanks to you both - I must say I could not see a use for it, but now understand that it helps to hold the bevel in 1st gear position when pushing the gears in. It is as you say probably best left out because if it breaks the bits will end up in the gearbox and with care it will be possible to get the bevels in the correct position without it.

Afraid I have not got a copy of KTB, but there is no mention of it in Paul Richardson's book or the F J Griffin instruction sheets as far as I can see.

Matty

vibrac

VOC Member
If you are worried an elastic band on the gear indicator when assembling does the same job-get a red one the GPO provide them for free on any roadside

Matty

VOC Member
Thanks vibrac. The elastic band or a helper holding the gear indicator seems to be the way the way to go. We had been told about the band by VOC spares, but had not realised that this was a substitute for the mysterious broken spring.