Spell Checker

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have blue lines under my words every now and again , When typing,

But they have gone after I have sent the message ?, Strange .

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I have the same keeps coming up, " Resource ", Even when just starting ,
Thought it was my Computer,

Also have blue lines under my words every now and again , When typing,
But they have gone after I have sent the message ?, Strange .
Bill,
The blue lines under what you have typed is "spell check/grammar check". It's the computer being rather rude and commenting on your grammar and then trying to save face by not telling the rest of the world. I get it all the time. I got so fed up with it doing it to me that I switched it off as I found it making grammatical errors on things that I knew were correct. The computer also used to give me grief over using the "passive voice" in my writing. I would get suggestions like "write the sentence this way instead". I know what I want to say and how I want to say it. The cheek of it.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Steven, It's the Computer that's wrong,
Some small words I know I have not got wrong,
Some might be USA Spelling,
I didn't ask for spell check, It just keeps updating it's self, And changing things.
Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Depending on which web browser you are using you can have a spell check.

Google Chrome: Click the three vertical dots found at the top right-hand corner and from the drop-down menu choose "Settings". From the column on the left-hand side choose "Languages". You can turn or change your language and spell-check your preferences.

Microsoft Edge: Click the three horizontal dots found at the top right-hand corner and scroll down to the bottom of the drop-down and choose "Languages" You can choose spelling options etc there.

I use Firefox: Click the three horizontal lines found at the top right-hand corner and from the drop-down menu choose "Settings". From the column on the left-hand side choose "General" then scroll down the page to "Language where you can choose your language and tick the "Check your spelling as you type" box. (It definitely works when I'm posting on this forum.)

I also have the free version of "Grammarly" installed. You can download this from the internet and install it for other browsers too.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Ed, As normal I am rubbish with this stuff,
My Chrome does not show what you say, But it's not important.

Had a right mess up the other day, The wife got a new phone and I tried to take over her old one,
Made sure she had all her stuff in her new one, Then deleted her old one,
You guessed it, I managed to delete her new phone too !!,
Put a new photo on mine and it came up on hers too,
Lost my Gmail account !, Tried to redo it and was told That account was already used,
It's no good shouting it's MINE :) .
I gave up in the finish, If I was up to something, There would be a DIVORCE :).

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thank you, Ed., I learnt something today. I had to come out of this forum site and go to Edge itself. Then after the three dots 'language' did not come up but going to 'settings' then gave me a choice of languages and then I could choose from various options. Very good. Thinking about it, perhaps I did not have to leave the forum. If I had gone to setting from the forum perhaps it would have worked. Hope this is useful to others.