speedo twitches

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i have an idea someone has the info for the two right angle drives on the ends of the speedo cable i think mine have seen there usefull life out as my speedo has once again got the twitches after a clean up and some tlc it decided to try and fling the needle off but only suceeded in sticking permanantly at 90mph.
OSSIE
shadow clock.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Mine did too. So I checked the drives, and the cables, and it still twitched. I had it refurbished, it still twitched. It did it after about 70 miles. First it twitched, then went to 160 mph and stayed there. On restarting it zeroed, worked for the next 70 miles, then went back to it's old bad habits. Difficult to ignore a Shadow clock...
David Woods diagnosed a sticking / worn out escapement. This sounded plausible: the escapement engages at a fixed TIME interval and "counts" the revs since the last engagement, and thus calculates speed. If it engages more or less at random when speed is steady, then the speedo twitches: the calculation is accurate, but a key part of the input data isn't. The good news was that he had had new escapements made. I bit the bullet. My speedo doesn't twitch any more, and as far as I can tell, although it's less important than the recurrent attention-seeking semaphore, is accurate within about 5%.
(Acknowledgement to Jacqueline Bickerstaffe and Eddy Saxton: they know a lot about speedos, and I managed to pick up a little. And to David Woods, of course.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Trouble with the gearbox at the back of the Shadow speedo can cause strange symptoms on the dial and also broken cables. When the gearbox on the back of my early type Shadow speedo played up it was rebuilt by Speedograph Richfield (Successors to Auto Tempo). They replaced the worn out gears from stock.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Trouble with the gearbox at the back of the Shadow speedo can cause strange symptoms on the dial and also broken cables. When the gearbox on the back of my early type Shadow speedo played up it was rebuilt by Speedograph Richfield (Successors to Auto Tempo). They replaced the worn out gears from stock.
The funny thing is, that the gears only wear on one side.
Thinking about it, it is probably the spring action of the drive cable.

Last edited:

ossie

VOC Member
yes its the gears.[been offered a pair].
i need a nylon drive gear spares co dont list one .
a suppliers name would be helpfull ?
OSSIE